capricious vs. spoiled

• Packard

USA, English
    No, they are not synonyms.

Capricious means "arbitrary" as in winds that may come from any direction at any time and at any speed (capricious winds).

Spoiled has several meanings, but I think you are talking about a personality trait. In that sense "spoiled" means that you are accustomed to finer things in life or a life of luxury and little work.

You can look up these words in the dictionary to get more accomplished definitions.

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    No, they are not synonyms.

Capricious means "arbitrary" as in winds that may come from any direction at any time and at any speed (capricious winds).

Spoiled has several meanings, but I think you are talking about a personality trait. In that sense "spoiled" means that you are accustomed to finer things in life or a life of luxury and little work.

You can look up these words in the dictionary to get more accomplished definitions.
    I agree as regards the definitions, but it's a curious fact that many spoiled children become very capricious.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I agree as regards the definitions, but it's a curious fact that many spoiled children become very capricious.
    Probably true, because they are accustomed to every wish, every caprice, being satisfied.

But that is indeed cause and effect, not a matter of one being synonymous with the other.

I have known a number of very capricious people and I have no idea at all whether they were spoiled as children or as adults.

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    Probably true, because they are accustomed to every wish, every caprice, being satisfied.

But that is indeed cause and effect, not a matter of one being synonymous with the other.

I absolutely agree.

I have known a number of very capricious people and I have no idea at all whether they were spoiled as children or as adults.
    Me, too, although I do know that the majority were spoiled brats!

< Previous | Next >