"capstone synthesis"

basquiat

Romania, Romanian
Hi,

I am translating a transcript and one of the course title is "Capstone Synthesis" ..Does it mean "the ending/the final synthesis"

Thank you.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi,

I am translating a transcript and one of the course title is "Capstone Synthesis" ..Does it mean "the ending/the final synthesis"

Thank you.
    This seems to be a common expression in AE course descriptions, e.g.

All students must take 12 hours of humanities, 9 hours of social science/history, 7 hours of natural sciences/mathematics, 6 hours of religious studies/philosophy and interdisciplinary studies, 3 hours of ethics, 9 hours of electives from the liberal arts and sciences or interdisciplinary studies, and a capstone synthesis reflection.

A capstone (definition 2 in WR dictionary) is a final touch; a crowning achievement; a culmination

So it looks to me as though your supposition is correct. It's a piece from each student at the end of their course, outlining their impressions of the course and its impact on them.

Remember I don't know about American universities; the AE speakers should come online here in a few hours time.

the_del_star

USA, English
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, would you kindly post the course description. It will be possible to find it, though it might take some effort.

I can't tell you another was to describe it without it, because my capstone classes are decidedly different.

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Does 'capstone course' mean finishing school course? I don't understand anything from august members' replies.

< Previous | Next >