capsule carpet

susanna76

Romanian
What's a capsule carpet?

In On Beauty, Zadie Smith describes a church in these terms: "The stone floor had been completely covered by a thin, orange-and-grey capsule carpet; many large squares of fuzzy industrial felt slotted together."

So is that what a capsule carpet is? A carpet out of many pieces?

• timpeac

English (England)
    What's a capsule carpet?

In On Beauty, Zadie Smith describes a church in these terms: "The stone floor had been completely covered by a thin, orange-and-grey capsule carpet; many large squares of fuzzy industrial felt slotted together."

So is that what a capsule carpet is? A carpet out of many pieces?
    I'd guess it's a carpet with many large squares of fuzzy industrial felt slotted together!:D Seriously, I wouldn't understand what a capsule carpet is either without the following explanation.

Copyright

American English
    I don't see how it can be a description with that semicolonic barrier there. :) Could you double-check the punctuation, susanna?

(It probably is a description, of course.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I've never heard of capsule carpet.
    Here are some more examples of capsule <something>.
    The contestants then arrived on-stage, each standing above a small capsule-carpet of their country flag.
    The next round featured evening gowns, and each model was introduced centerstage before walking to the capsule flag of their country.
    Miss Virtual World 2009
    Other Google examples are mostly this collocation appearing in the midst of a string of words that are most likely to be key words for search engines. For example:
    cups filling machine automatic sensor faucet automatic printing machine · empty capsule carpet machine lamp machine · quilt machine tape machine clock

900MHz Adapter Battery Black Blonde Bluetooth Camera Capsule carpet cleaning compatible Computer Creative Digital keyboard Logitech Machines
    They are very poetic :)

On the basis of this exhaustive analysis, I suggest that "capsule carpet" does not have any particular recognised meaning.

Copyright

American English
    Thanks, susanna. I'm about to come up with a general explanation: That's just Zadie -- a name, by the way, that isn't too far off zany.

I didn't find anything in Google until I tried "capsule carpet japanese" -- and then only one hit that made sense:

Miss Virtual World 2009

• The contestants then arrived on-stage, each standing above a small capsule-carpet of their country flag.
    • The swimsuit competition followed with each model standing in her own cylindrical compartment.
    • The next round featured evening gowns, and each model was introduced center stage before walking to the capsule flag of their country.
    I could almost see capsule carpets being little round carpets at the bottom of cylindrical capsules -- except that Zadie's are square. And then there's the capsule flags. :eek:

I think I'm going to go with my new mantra: That's just Zadie.

Edit: Typing with panj. again. :)

< Previous | Next >