capture your dreams<> so you can [comma?]

GuillemGP

Catalan
Hi!

We are a video production company from Barcelona. We have designed an image for our Facebook page and we want to show a slogan that says "We capture your dreams so you can remember them forever."

We would like to know if it is completely correct and if for example it has to be written with a come after the word "dreams".

Thanks!

I mean comma not come! Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Probably avoid commas in slogans anyway, but none is required there.

I like the slogan. It is correct grammatically, in my opinion. What kinds of dreams are you capturing?

I should mention that normally the website requires that you ask only one question per thread.

GuillemGP

Catalan
    Hi redwoodgrove!

Thanks for your answer. We make wedding films for example and the idea behind the slogan is that even when we work in corporate videos, documentaries, etc., we are capturing the dreams that people have. We want to emphasize that reality is momentary but we can freeze that reality in particular "forever".

I'm new here so I didn't know the rules of the website, sorry!

Thank you!

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    That's all right. Sometimes if people are egregious in ignoring the rules the post gets deleted.

So, yes, what you describe is exactly the impression I received from your slogan. In other words, the slogan fits with what you do. Needless to say, for Americans a "dream" is not something that is to be remembered but is a goal to be turned into a physical reality. However, I personally think the idea of recording dreams is important in making them part of your life. Best of luck!

e2efour

UK English
    Welcome to the English forum, GuillemGP! :)

I find the slogan ambiguous. Do you mean in order for you to remember them for ever (purpose) or therefore you can remember them for ever (result).

If you are talking about a result, a comma is usually written.
    If you are talking about a purpose, a comma is usually not written.

GuillemGP

Catalan

I find the slogan ambiguous. Do you mean in order for you to remember them for ever (purpose) or therefore you can remember them for ever (result).

You little ripper!

Australian English
    for Americans a "dream" is not something that is to be remembered but is a goal to be turned into a physical reality.
    That's what I was thinking as I started to read the thread. The only dream that can be captured with a camera is a 'fulfilled' dream, and that doesn't make for a good slogan.

These might work, but I'm sure someone will come up with something better. :)

We capture your special/important moments.
    We capture your happy/special memories.

GuillemGP

Catalan
    That's what I was thinking as I started to read the thread. The only dream that can be captured with a camera is a 'fulfilled' dream, and that doesn't make for a good slogan.

These might work, but I'm sure someone will come up with something better. :)

We capture your special/important moments.
    We capture your happy/special memories.

Hi!

But because it is a slogan we use "dreams" in a metaphoric way not in a literal sense. Of course we mean goals, but goals have to be dreamed before in order to became a reality and I think it is a literary way to say it. Don't you think so?

Thanks!

GuillemGP

Catalan

Thanks e2efour!

I think it is more like a purpose. We capture images in order for them to remember what happend in that particular moment but in a fun/entertaining way, and for that, we need to make a memorable video. It is not the simple fact or consequence that if we capture a moment they will remember it because we did so and if we didn't do it they wouldn't remember anything of that moment.

I'm Catalan and it is very difficult for me to put these things into word in English. I hope you understand.

Thanks!

GuillemGP

Catalan
    That's all right. Sometimes if people are egregious in ignoring the rules the post gets deleted.

So, yes, what you describe is exactly the impression I received from your slogan. In other words, the slogan fits with what you do. Needless to say, for Americans a "dream" is not something that is to be remembered but is a goal to be turned into a physical reality. However, I personally think the idea of recording dreams is important in making them part of your life. Best of luck!

Thanks! I think that in a metaphoric/literary way the cocept of "dreams" can easly be understood as goals and achieved objectives. Don't you think so?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hi!

But because it is a slogan we use "dreams" in a metaphoric way not in a literal sense. Of course we mean goals, but goals have to be dreamed before in order to became a reality and I think it is a literary way to say it. Don't you think so?

Thanks!
    Guillem, the word for 'dream' in Catalan may have a meaning that the English word doesn't have. It doesn't feel right to me. Let's see what others think. :)

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    When you go to a wedding you not only are witnessing a couple's dreams you're participating in them. I well remember sitting in the livingroom at a couple's house as they relived their wedding moment by watching a video. It had come up spontaneously and they had been married for fifteen years, but at that moment they were getting married all over again.

For a businessperson and especially an entrepreneur, the success of the company is part of his or her dream. To have a video that encapsulates the spirit and the dynamics of what they do is a pretty amazing thing.

In the American idiom, a dream is a goal.

< Previous | Next >