car-bingo

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
Context:

"Oh, but you have fire in you, I'll have so much fun with that".
From his perversely satisfied tone, I gathered it wasn't good, clean, car-bingo-type fun he spoke of".

Source: The Turning - Jennifer Armintrout

Some more insight:

The character speaking is Cyrus, an extremely debauched vampire who sired the girl he's speaking with. She's giving him a fight, but she's terribly attracted to him.

The only related expression I found was "backseat bingo" an expression from the 50's that simply means caressing your partner on/or above the neck in the backseat of a car. As the whole vampire thing involves bitting necks, I assumed the author was trying to use the metaphor of necking to imply it would be more than just "good, clean, necking/caressing type of fun".

Is this correct?

october15

• lablady

English - USA
    Hello october15,

Car Bingo (also known as Auto Bingo or Travel Bingo), is a game used to keep children occupied on long road trips. Each person has a playing board with pictures of things they might see by the roadside arranged in a grid. The children look out the car windows and try to find the items pictured on their gameboard. The winner is the first person to find all the items in a row or a column, or they can play until someone finds all the items on their gameboard.

Here is a an example. It's definitely good, clean fun, and not the kind of fun that Cyrus was referring to. The Backseat Bingo reference you found is possibly a more adult take-off of the children's game. :)

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    The book has a lot of adult content, and many slang words/expressions, in fact. But maybe your approach is correct.
    The problem is there's no equivalency whatosever for car-bingo in Portugal so I'll have to replace "car-bingo" with "children's game" on the translation, which is sort of... lame. If the approach of kissing necks is the adult take off for car-bingo, I would prefer that, since the whole context, and most of her "inner speach" about Cyrus is purely sexual.

Any other feed-backs on my question?

october15

lablady

English - USA
    I think in this statement the author is illustrating the vast contrast between the good, clean, innocent fun, such as would be found with children playing a simple game, and the type of fun Cyrus is likely to be talking about. While translating "Car Bingo" into "children's game" may be lame, it does maintain the idea of the huge difference between innocent fun and not-so-innocent fun. I don't think replacing it with a neck-kissing activity would maintain that contrast as well.

Just my opinion, others may not agree. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with lablady. :thumbsup:

The point is the contrast between "innocence" (= good, clean) and whatever it is that the vampire has in mind.

< Previous | Next >