Car boot sales

Hello, do you have car boot sales in America?

And if yes, do you call them the same or how?

And in Canada/Aus/NZ/SA?

I've only seen this term used in the UK, so I was curious to know... Thank you very much!

Context: A car boot sale is a sale of usually used items operated by mostly non-professional sellers who tipically gathers in public places like parks, parking lots, etc. which are hired for the occasion. Sellers tipically display the items on sale out of their own car boot.

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hello chipulukusu,
    Car boot sales or boot fairs are a mainly British form of market in which private individuals come together to sell household and garden goods.
    Items sold can include antiques and collectables, anything in fact that the person wishes to sell, rather like a flea market.
    Source : wikipedia.org : Car boot sale

According to the above, it seems that it is mainly British form of market. In the U.S. such a thing would probably be called a flea market (swap meet). There are also yard / garage sales.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In AE, the term "boot" is not used to refer to that portion of an automobile; it's called a "trunk." A "trunk sale," however, is a different type of event.

Morior_invictus is correct that the event described here would be referred to as a flea market or swap meet in the U.S.

Myridon

English - US
    Morior_invictus is correct that the event described here would be referred to as a flea market or swap meet in the U.S.
    While these serve the same purpose, they are not generally done from the backs of cars. People usually set up tables and booths, sometimes even indoors. "Selling things from the back of your car" is associated with selling stolen goods here. ;)

Myridon

English - US
    But how a trunk sale differs from a car boot sale? In the UK sometimes you can see literally hundreds of cars gathered together. Is this the main difference?
    No, it's a completely different thing. A trunk sale or trunk show is when a vendor has a special sale of items directly to the public (rather than through its normal retail channels). It's often a fancy event for a high-end fashion producer. The items are new. It may be a preview of the next season's new clothes or perhaps remnants from last season. The "trunks" are not the trunks of cars, but storage trunks.

tepatria

Canadian English
    Canadians have adapted the American way in this. We have flea markets, garage sales, and yard sales. In the winter you might see a house sale, because it's too darn cold to be outdoors! We refer to the car trunk, not the boot.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Myridon is correct that a flea market / swap meet only serves the same purpose as a car boot sale. I'm not sure we have an exact duplicate of that event in the U.S.

A trunk sale is a different thing entirely. It is where fashion designers show off their product line to potential vendors; the "trunk" refers to a crate or piece of luggage, not to the storage area of an automobile. I brought it up only because I thought the existence of the term might be confusing, and I see I have succeeded in making it so!

Thank you very much, I didn't have the faintest idea of it...
    I was puzzled, while trying to search, to see trunk sale associated with brides... I understand now!

I thought it was a bride-to-be selling things from her old single's house out of the trunk of her car...:eek: (shame)

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Florentia52, it's a slight overgeneralization to say that "boot" is not used in American English for that part of a car. It is used in some parts of the US, such as North Carolina. "Trunk" is also used. I haven't lived in NC recently enough to say what the relative frequency of the two words is.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    If boot is used for trunk in the US at all currently, it is a very minutely regional use. It would not be understood generally except by those who read British literature.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The use of "boot" may be "minutely regional", but I suspect that the young grocery store employee who said to me a few years ago "Y'all got a clean boot" (indeed, my relative's car was impeccable) was not a devotee of British literature.

< Previous | Next >