car is stolen when driving outside Israel

agentparker

Chinese
Here are sentences extracted from the TED talk by Shai Agassi with the title "A new ecosystem for electric cars". He was describing a electric car promotion project on islands and Israel is the first in the line. His word went as followed when he mentioned Israel and was followed by the laughter of the audience:

"We then were sort of coined as the guys who run only in small islands. I know most people don't think of Israel as a small island,but Israel is an island -- it's a transportation island. If your car is driving outside Israel it's been stolen." (Laughter)

What confuses me is that why the car is stolen if you drive outside Israel?
And what did he mean by "coined as the guys who run only in small islands"? (My understanding is that people think that the electric car is only practical on small islands due to its relatively short range. Am I correct?)

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I believe he's saying that Israelis only tend to drive within Israel - so if their car is seen outside Israel it must have been stolen.
    I think they've used "coined" to mean "been labelled as" "been quoted as being" [a misuse (?) of the verb "coin" from the idiom "to coin a phrase"o_O]

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    1. Shai Agassi's first language is not English. He has made a mistake.
    2. The punctuation of "We then were sort of coined as the guys who run only in small islands. [...]" is incorrect.

The correct punctuation is

"We then were sort of coined as "The guys who run only in small islands."" but even this is wrong - we do not say "coin as"

To coin [a word, title, name, or phrase] = to invent [a word, title, name or phrase.]

"We then were sort of coined" :cross:
    "The name "The guys who run only in small islands." was coined for us" :tick: -> You do not "coin people", so it is wrong to say "We were coined as ..."

What confuses me is that why the car is stolen if you drive outside Israel? :cross:
    What I don't understand is that why the speaker says that the car is stolen if you drive outside Israel? :tick:

This is not a language question, it is a general knowledge question.

You should understand that Israel is surrounded by enemies. If an Israeli drives his car beyond the boundaries of Israel, he will be killed. Therefore the only people who could drive a car beyond the boundaries of Israel would be someone from those surrounding countries who had stolen it.

< Previous | Next >