car j'en ai pas mal à faire

temple09

English - British
Hi,

I have received an email asking for help with a friend's project. He says that he will be sending me documents and goes on to say -
"J'en enverrai d'autres dans les semaines suivantes car j'en ai pas mal à faire avant la fin juillet."
I am ok with the beginning and the end - "I will send more of them in the following weeks... before the end of July"
but I am struggling with a suitable translation for the rest. Would "car" translate as "so that" or "in order that" - followed by "I won't have trouble in doing it..."
Many thanks.

• temple09

English - British
    Ahhhhh! That explains it. Ok I understand. And may I ask - is this a shortenned version of what would normally be -
    "Je n'en ai pas mal à faire"?
    And I am assuming that the "en" section refers to the work itself. I.e. If you simply wish to say that you have a lot of (unspecified) things to do then you would say "Je n'ai pas mal à faire?"

Last edited:

temple09

English - British
    Thank you so much. I am sorry to be a nuisance, but can this (in a different context) mean that one is finding something easy? It confuses me that (I believe) if one said "J'ai mal à faire" something then it means that it is difficult to do. Hence, to put that sentence in the negative, can this sometimes mean that it is the opposite of difficult?

bourdette1

English-United States
    Je suis en train d'écrire une réduction des impressionnistes au siècle dix-neuvième. Je veux dire mon ami que j'en ai toujours pas mal à faire. Ça va dire en anglais <I still have a lot of work to do>. C'est correcte ou non? Merci d'avance. Don

Blougouz

french-France
    [QUOTE="Itisi, post: 17682153, membre
    "Je n'en ai pas mal à faire"
    :cross::thumbsdown:(#4)

Tu as raison de souligner, Itisi! Ce n'est absolument pas une négative!!!:eek:

Ils ont dû confondre avec "j'en ai rien à faire!":rolleyes:

janpol

France - français
    J'en ai encore pas mal à faire (litote) = j'en ai encore beaucoup à faire .
    Elle n'est pas mal, ta dissertation = elle est bien, ta dissertation
    Cette fille, elle est pas mal du tout = cette fille, elle est plutôt/franchement/très jolie.

< Previous | Next >