Car pool

< Previous | Next >

johpen

Afrikaans
What is the translation for "car pool"? As in I pick you and other colleagues up in my car this week to drive to work and then you drive next week, etc.

• MünchnerFax

Italian, Italy
    Fahrgemeinschaft is the name of this practice, or of the group itself, if the people in the group are always the same and agree on a long-term, regular car pooling.

Moreover, occasional car pooling is quite widespread in Germany - a person travelling from A to B offers other unknown people a lift from A to B or from/to an intermediate origin/destination at an agreed price. This is called Mitfahrgelegenheit ("chance for a ride").

dec-sev

Russian
    What is the translation for "car pool"? As in I pick you and other colleagues up in my car this week to drive to work and then you drive your car next week, etc.
    Correct?
    Can I say: "We have agreed to pool our cars" or "We pool our cars"?

Moreover, occasional car pooling is quite widespread in Germany - a person travelling from A to B offers other unknown people a lift from A to B or from/to an intermediate origin/destination at an agreed price. This is called Mitfahrgelegenheit ("chance for a ride").
    Do I understand it correctly that that unknown person also travels regularly to a certain destination that is situated between A and B?

MünchnerFax

Italian, Italy
    Both the driver and the passengers may or may not need to travel regularly from A to B, but this is not the point. The point in a Mitfahrgelegenheit is that on a certain day, a driver travels from A to B, for whatever reason and no matter if it is a regular or occasional trip. This driver offers a paid lift to potential passengers who also need to travel on that route or a part of it (again, no matter if they do it regularly or not). There are websites for this or you can hang out a note on a board in a public place, but I think this forum is not the right place to discuss this.

Then, if both the driver and one or more passengers travel regularly along that route and make a long-term agreement, then they constitute a Fahrgemeinschaft.

dec-sev

Russian
    So, there is no difference at all between "chance for a ride" and "to give a lift".
    Do I understand it correctly that "car pool" means that each of us uses his own car? This week we are using my car, next week, yours, etc.
    Then, if both the driver and one or more passengers travel regularly along that route and make a long-term agreement, then they constitute a Fahrgemeinschaft.
    The German word seems not to convey the idea of whose car is used.

MünchnerFax

Italian, Italy
    It doesn't. In fact, it literally means "travelling community". Whose car is used, and whether cars of different people have to be used in turn, all of this depends on the particular agreement within that group. But then, it is my understanding that also the English car pool in itself only indicates the general practice, but does not necessarily imply any fixed method, especially not that different cars have to be used in turn.

There is a difference between Mitfahrgelegenheit and "to give a lift" in that the former German term is a more specific term than the latter English one. Mitfahrgelegenheit can mean "to give a lift" in general, but in its most common usage it is usually meant to be a paid service, really a sort of taxi service done by a private person. Instead, you usually "give a lift" to a friend, relative or acquaintance free of charge. The German expression for it would be jemanden mitnehmen.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    It doesn't. In fact, it literally means "travelling community". Whose car is used, and whether cars of different people have to be used in turn, all of this depends on the particular agreement within that group.
    Exactly. :)

The arrangement of a "Fahrgemeinschaft" can differ hugely, the term itself says nothing about the particular arrangement which could include:
    - A is driving in the first week with his own car, B in the second week with his car, and C in the third week with his car, after which again it is A's turn to drive; or:
    - A is driving all the time with his car but B and C are paying for fuel; or:
    - A and B drive in turns with their car while C has no car but still participates in the Fahrgemeinschaft - A and B are paying nothing (except maintenance and fuel for their own cars), while C is paying them both;
    and so on.

"Fahrgemeinschaft" in itself is defined only as 2 or more people using 1 car to travel to work regularily: so regularity is a defining factor of this term - which is not the case (or not necessarily) with the term "Mitfahrgelegenheit".

"Mitfahrgelegenheit" now in my experience however is not necessarily defined by payment (as payment also may be involved with "Fahrgemeinschaft", as described above), and as there are cases when you offer "Mitfahrgelegenheit" without payment. It is rather a term used when you're only get offered a lift once, or on few occasions; if a "Mitfahrgelegenheit" is becoming a regular occurence people would choose rather the term "Fahrgemeinschaft".

dec-sev

Russian
    Jetzt verstehe ich. Ich wollte noch wissen, wie ich die Wörter verwenden kann. Klingt das Folgende gut:
    MünchnerFax, sokol und ich sind eine Fahrgemeinschaft.
    Sokol hat eine Mitfahrgelegenheit genutzt um mit mir nach Balaklava zu fahren.

Und auf Englisch:
    My 3 friends and I are in a car pool.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello dec-sev :)

Jetzt verstehe ich. Ich wollte noch wissen, wie ich die Wörter verwenden kann. Klingt das Folgende gut:
    MünchnerFax, sokol und ich sind eine Fahrgemeinschaft.
    Yes, you could say so. I would, however, rather say:

"MünchnerFax, sokol und ich bilden eine Fahrgemeinschaft."
    (although: This sentence might be interpreted as relating to the process of forming the car-pool team).

Better:
    "Ich bin in einer Fahrgemeinschaft mit MünchnerFax und sokol". I think I would put it that way -- if I were in your place ;)

Sokol hat eine Mitfahrgelegenheit genutzt, um mit mir nach Balaklava zu fahren.
    Yes! However, there is a logical difficulty:

- If sokol uses the Mitfahrgelegenheit to go to Balaklava, he does NOT go together with you (instead, he uses the Mitfahrgelegenheit offered by a foreign person)

- Because, if you WERE going together, you would have to say:

"Sokol und ich haben eine Mitfahrgelegenheit genutzt, um..."

- If this Mitfahrgelegenheit was not a third person, but you, then you would simply say:

"Sokol ist mit mir (in meinem Auto) nach Balaklava gefahren."

Schönen Abend :)

Last edited:

dec-sev

Russian
    Guten Morgen :)
    - If this Mitfahrgelegenheit was not a third person, but you, then you would simply say:

"Sokol ist mit mir (in meinem Auto) nach Balaklava gefahren."

Schönen Abend :)
    Ja, das wollte ich sagen. Ich meine, der Wagen gehört mir, ich muss nach Balaklava, sokol auch, und er nutzt den Fakt, dass ich nach Balaklava fahre. Also, ich bin seine Mitfahrgelegenheit. Das Problem ist, dass du in deinem Beispiel das Wort nicht verwendet hast.
    Falls ich es richtig verstehe, benutzt man das Wort Mitfahrgelegenheit, wenn die Person, die dir diese Gelegenheit gibt, unbekannt ist, bzw. die Erwähnung dieser Person ist nicht wichtig. Wie in deinem Beispiel: "Sokol und ich haben eine Mitfahrgelegenheit genutzt, um..." Falls ich die Person bin, die die Gelegenheit gibt, ist es besser das Wort überhaupt nicht zu verwenden, sondern die von dir gegebene Formulierung benutzen.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Good morning dec-sev :)

Yes, that's how I would put it. The word "Mitfahrgelegenheit" implies some sort of deal, it's impersonal -- and that's not the case with sokol and you, who have been language debate friends for quite a while now.

By the way: I always read "Baklava" :D Well, I'm clearly a friend of desserts..

Another by the way: I'm writing in English for the convenience of the thread starter.

Last edited:

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Falls ich die Person bin, die die Gelegenheit gibt, ist es besser das Wort überhaupt nicht zu verwenden, sondern die von dir gegebene Formulierung benutzen.
    Well, it is possible to use the word, even if it may not be necessarily the most elegant solution:
    "Ich habe sokol eine Mitfahrgelegenheit nach Balaklava angeboten."
    better:
    "Ich habe sokol nach Balaklava mitgenommen."
    or a dialogue:
    "sokol: Kannst du mich nach Balaklava mitnehmen?
    dec-sev: Ja klar, natürlich!"*)

*) Ich werd darauf zurückkommen, falls ich irgendwann einmal nach Sewastopol kommen sollte. :D :p

Fahrgemeinschaft - weitere Varianten:
    "Münchner Fax, dec-sev und ich haben eine Fahrgemeinschaft."
    "Ich habe eine Fahrgemeinschaft mit Münchner Fax und dec-sev."
    "Wir haben (seit kurzem) eine Fahrgemeinschaft (gebildet), Münchner Fax, dec-sev und ich - schliesslich haben wir ja denselben Weg."
    etc.

< Previous | Next >