car registration documents/certificate/papers

< Previous | Next >

keramus

Persian
Hello everyone

Steve took his dad's car to go shopping but the car was towed away because he parked it where he wasn't supposed to.
So, in order to get the car back , he needs to go home and take the car registration documents/certificate/papers.

I would go with "papers" and "documents" but I need to your opinion.

• keramus

Persian
    I mean documents that prove the car is registered to Steve's dad.
    I want to know what is said in conversations (Either US or Br English)

Myridon

English - US
    Here, the registration of the car is on the car (the license plate and a sticker usually). They know who the car belongs to with no documents. You need to prove that you are that person so you would need Steve's dad's driver's license and probably Steve's dad as I don't know how you're going to prove your friend's paternity.

lingobingo

English - England
    In the UK, if your car is stopped by the police, you may be asked to produce your driving licence, insurance certificate and MOT certificate.
    In the US, the required documents seem to be “license, registration, and proof of insurance”.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I agree with Myridon. In the U.S., the vehicle registration is in the car, so neither Steve nor his father would be able to go home and get them. They'd need their driver's licenses and, of course, the car keys.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I mean documents that prove the car is registered to Steve's dad.
    I want to know what is said in conversations (Either US or Br English)
    Normally, in the UK, to reclaim a car which was towed away, you'd be told specifically what documents you needed to bring in order to reclaim it: here's a list from the Metropolitan Police.

Since in this case the car is his dad's, then Steve would need to take amongst other things the V5C (vehicle registration certificate) - still commonly called the 'log book' - and something in writing to prove his father had authorized him to collect it.

keramus

Persian
    First of all, thank you for your help.
    Second of all, one of my friends has made a short movie and he's asked me to translate the script into English for him. In my country, to reclaim a towed car , it's necessary to show the vehicle registration certificate.What I wrote above is just for context.
    In the movie, the main character's car was towed away and then, he talks to a police officer and the police officer tells him to bring the vehicle registration certificate to the police station.
    I want to make subtitles understandable for foreigners and I want to know if that's OK to use "vehicle registration certificate" in this context.
    For this reason , I decided to ask this question.

kentix

English - U.S.
    In the U.S., in the state I live in, you are issued a piece of paper that you have to renew every year and it's simply called your (vehicle) registration in everyday language. Like this:
    “license, registration, and proof of insurance”.
    That means driver's license, registration "certificate" and insurance card.

What's printed on the piece of paper is "Motor Vehicle Registration". The word certificate does not appear.

The license tag/plate is for the car, the registration is for the owner. There is a sticker that goes on the car license plate when you renew and the paper (for most people) goes in the glove compartment for the time when it might be needed.

Here's an excerpt from a website about getting your car out of a tow lot. You definitely need paperwork where I live.

If your registration and insurance card are located inside of the vehicle, the personnel at the tow lot will allow you to go retrieve this information.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    In California, in addition to the registration (called "the registration") there is also a paper establishing full legal ownership called "the pink slip." You can see that, if your movie is set in the US, you will need to decide what in state to set it in order to have the dialogue sound natural. As kentix says, you will also need proof of insurance to get your car back, around here at least.

Volodaaaa

Slovak - Slovakia
    Hello everyone

Steve took his dad's car to go shopping but the car was towed away because he parked it where he wasn't supposed to.
    So, in order to get the car back , he needs to go home and take the car registration documents/certificate/papers.

I would go with "papers" and "documents" but I need to your opinion.
    It depends on if you think of "some documents you have for your car" or if you think of a particular document. I live in the EU, and thus, I have car documents valid all over it. Therefore, some documents have its name translated in all European languages. There is indeed a document called "car registration certificate". It includes information such as the name of the owner, address, licence plate number, number of seats, power, size of wheels or brand. That is usually the document along with the driving licence police officers are interested in when they pull you over for an inspection.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In BE, it is "the car registration document(s)" or "the V5" or "the log book". "The log book" is an anachronism and is slowly losing ground to "V5" (the designation of the official form) - log books ceased to exist about 50 years ago.

< Previous | Next >