caracol - Mexican seafood, what is it?

Barbara S.

The caracol that you see on seafood menus in Mexico is not the familiar land snails you eat in Spain. What is the English name for this mollusc or crustacean? I recall reading years ago that another name is "concha" or conch in English, and that "caracol" was a euphemism, like saying dark meat to avoid saying turkey breast.

I am looking forward to your responses.

• ElenaofTroy

Mexico-Spanish
    Caracol in Mexican food is precisely that, the animal in the sea shell! It is quite larger than the land snails used in Spanish food.

I once was in a tour somewhere in the coast of Mexico (I don´t remember the exact place) and we were on a crystal bottom boat. One of the "crew members" -actually a local fisherman- dived deeply into the sea till he found a shell, the kind that is used to hear the sound of waves... The shell was about 6 or 7 inches long. The diver approached the windows of our boat to show it to us. Later when we landed we ate lunch at that beach and the caracol (from that sea shell) was offered to us as an appetizer. They prepared it with the same recipee used for a shrimp cocktail.

I hope this helps someone to identify the animal and give us its name in English!

Iliana :)

MarcB

US English
    do an image search for cnch,concha,periwinkle,percebes, caracol,escargot. and see what you get.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Hi Barbara.
    If I'm not mistaking it for something else, the seafood dish "caracol" is what we call "carrucho" here in PR and is served like this (among other presentations). It is the mollusc that lives in this shell.

Saludos,
    LN

ElenaofTroy

Mexico-Spanish
    lauranazario said:
    Hi Barbara.
    If I'm not mistaking it for something else, the seafood dish "caracol" is what we call "carrucho" here in PR and is served like this (among other presentations). It is the mollusc that lives in this shell.

Saludos,
    LN
    Hello, lauranazario,

Yes, that´s exactly the one! I´m glad you could find the image, I was about to search for it just now!

Saludos
    Iliana :)

< Previous | Next >