Care + about + what/why/how etc.

Poptar

Mandarin
I hope this topic hasn't been answered because I didn't find anything. Anyway, I'm learning English so if anyone could help me, it would be appreciated.

I've heard people say:

"I care about what you said"
"I don't care about what you said"

but I've also heard:

"I care what you said"
"I don't care what you said"

Is the about necessary in this case, and why do people use both ways. Thank you for your time. If anyone has any rules to share, that would be appreciated too!

• owlman5

English-US
    I recommend that you use "about" when you mention things that you care about: I care about what you said. I don't care about what you said.

People say many things, Poptar, and it's not unusual for people to omit little words in their remarks.

Welcome to the forum.

Poptar

Mandarin
    Thank you for the advice, and the welcome :)

On this online dictionary (Dictionary.com) This is listed as an example:

verb (used with object)11.to feel concern about: He doesn't care what others say.

It doesn't use about in this context, so I was confused.

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. It is certainly possible to omit "about" in sentences like the one in your example. It's probably more common to do this in negative remarks: I don't care what you know. It looks and sounds odd to me when you use "I care what you say."

You would certainly never sound any less fluent in English to me if you kept "about" in your remarks: I care about what you said. I don't care about what you said.

Forero

With about, I take what as a relative pronoun, and the meaning is that I am concerned (or am not concerned) about something specific that you said.

Without about, I take what as an interrogative pronoun, and the meaning is that it matters to me (or does not matter to me) what it is that you may have said.

< Previous | Next >