care for a dip?

< Previous | Next >

icequeen_11

American english
What does "care for a dip?" mean? I heard it in a video, they were dancing and suddenly he tells her "care for a dip?" and then they crack up, so i guess it's something funny.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome, icequeen_11.

Please remember to provide sufficient context and background information in your questions, as required by forum rules. What is the video and song about? When was it made?
    Forum quick guide

Also, please us correct capitalization: I rather than i.

icequeen_11

American english
    Oh, sorry about that.
    I can't add the url of the video, it doesn't let me, it says I don't have enough posts.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Oh, sorry about that.
    I can't add the url of the video, it doesn't let me, it says I don't have enough posts.
    The rules strictly forbid anyone to post any link to a video or audio file without prior approval from a moderator in any case. I'm afraid that you'll have to describe the situation for us. What's happening in the video? What's the name of the song? What are the singers/dancers doing and how are they dressed?

icequeen_11

American english
    No, they're not dancers or singers. It's a blooper from a scene of the serie Gossip Girl. Two of the characters are in a ball or something like that and the guy threw her back and said "care for a dip?" and then they started laughing.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    If they're simply dancing, then a "dip" could refer to dipping one's dance partner, to push them backwards and downwards while helping to hold them up.
    Here's the wikipedia entry: Dip (dance move)

You will find more information on Google, on instructional sites, and, yes, on video sharing sites if you look for "dance"/"dancing" and "dip."

meepgoesmycat

English - United States
    "Care for a dip?" I've always heard meant, "Want to go for a swim?" So he could have been making a (bad) pun about dipping her while dancing...

< Previous | Next >