career-part [career path] / Gold-collar

Wrpword

Thai
What does career-part exactly mean in this sentence?

Gold-collar worker, a modern American term for a type of worker, usually without a college degree or clear career-path.

This sentence I saw in Wikipedia, but I don't understand its meaning.

If possible, could anyone give me more details about the Gold-collar worker, please.

Thank you in advance.

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi Wrpword,

I had never heard this term, but the Wikipedia article itself gives a definition. Part of it is:

These are 18 to 25 year-old persons in a position to divert a significant portion of their earnings towards material luxuries. They typically have fewer than 2 years of post-high school education. Like their counterparts attending college, they are often employed as retail workers or in the hospitality industry, particularly food service. Unlike college students, though, this group tends to have more disposable income than college students, who pay high tuition costs and often move away from their parents.

Are there specific parts of the definition that you don't understand?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    A "career path" (I've no idea why it's hyphenated in your sample sentence) is the path that your career takes. Many people have some idea of the direction that they want their careers to take, hence "career path".

I've never heard the term "Gold-collar worker" but your sentence gives us the meaning.

Wrpword

Thai
    Thank you Nun-Translator, I have checked it at the Wikipediaarticle following your suggestion and I have found various helpful context therein. It is very kind of you and also Dimcl for all your inputs

The way they use hyphen, I think it is used as an adjective placed before "worker", isn't it? Thank you indeed.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, I think you are right about the hyphen in career-path worker. If I say "This is a position that does not follow a clear career path" I don't use a hyphen, but if I say "This is not a career-path position" then I need the hyphen.

The confusion is that in the sample sentence in Post 1 "career path" is not used as an adjective, so the hyphen would not be necessary.