Caring, caregiving

rafanadal

Italian
<<Moderator note: split from another thread>>

Hi there.
What would you guys write on a formal academic paper aimed at describing the basic content of a college teaching syllabus:
EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES: "To describe the basic principles of caring"
or "To describe the basic principle of caregiving"?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Loob

English UK
    Hello, rafa

Can you explain a bit more about the "college teaching syllabus" and the particular part of the syllabus being referred to?

"Caring" and "caregiving", as stand-alone words, both imply giving support to people who need help for some reason.

If, as I'm assuming, "college teaching syllabus" refers to teacher-training, it may be that neither "caring" nor "caregiving" is exactly what you're looking for.

rafanadal

Italian
    Hi Loob,
    sorry for the late reply.
    Well, basically it goes like this: I've been asked to take a look at the educational objectives of a syllabus, discipline: general nursing.
    By syllabus I mean the main topics that the professor is going to deal with during the school year.
    One of the objectives is the one I stated.
    I was wondering whether "caring" was the correct word to mean the whole process of giving assistance, care and everything to patients.
    I thought it was "caregiving" which I feel as more correct, but I don't have the "feel" of a native speaker :):)