hi everybody!

do anybody knows the Italian names of these carousels:

1. merry-go-round
  2. tilt-a-whirl
  3. chariot of death
thank you very much.

• Manuela

Italy -Italian/English
    the Merry go round is the one with horses.. the translation doesn't come to me right now. The other ones I have no clue
    Sorry if I wasn't much help

leenico

U.S.A. english
    winnie said:
    hi everybody!

does anybody knows the Italian names of these carousels:

1. merry-go-round
    2. tilt-a-whirl
    3. chariot of death
    thank you very much.
    Hi winnie, I always thought of the carousel as the merry-go-round. I googled carousel & the first thing that came up was the merry go round.

winnie

italy, italian
    EricB said:
    Non ho mai sentito "chariot of death" e mi sembra che sia uno scherzo. Potresti dare il contesto?
    there are two people describing a theme park they visited and they says a lot of name of 'attractions' (not sure is the right word) they rode.

skjc

england, english
    [CODE]there are two people describing a theme park they visited and they says a lot of name of 'attractions' (not sure is the right word) they rode. [/CODE]

there are two people describing a theme park they have visited and they say the name of a lot of attractions that they rode (have riden on).

In questo caso 'chariot of death' e 'tilt-a-whirl' sono nome specifica che hanno per quello parco solo.

anche 'attractions' voule dire tutto di cosi fare al parco.

Aeneas

U. S. - English
    In America the Tilt-a-Whirl is a very common ride at many travelling carnivals, and not limited to only one park. It is notorious for teaming up with the carnival food against all those with weak stomachs.
    I am not familiar with the Chariot of Death.
    I attended una festa in Avellino a few years ago, where I rode the Tilt-a-Whirl and the bumper cars, although I can't recall the Italian names.
    It seems the carnival workers a.k.a "carnies" are the same in every culture; a delightful surprise.

winnie

italy, italian
    skjc In questo caso 'chariot of death' e 'tilt-a-whirl' sono nom[color=red said:
    i[/color] specifici usati solo in quel parco.

anche 'attractions' vuole dire tutto ciò che si può fare al parco.
    maybe an example will help: rollercoaster in Italian is montagne russe / ottovolante, bumper cars are auto-scontri.
    i was wondering if there are Italians names for chariot of death and tilt-a-whirl.

winnie

italy, italian
    Aeneas said:
    In America the Tilt-a-Whirl is a very common ride at many travelling carnivals, and not limited to only one park. It is notorious for teaming up with the carnival food against all those with weak stomachs.
    I am not familiar with the Chariot of Death.
    I attended una festa in Avellino a few years ago, where I rode the Tilt-a-Whirl and the bumper cars, although I can't recall the Italian names.
    is tilt-a whirl a kind of rollercoaster or what?

It seems the carnival workers a.k.a "carnies" are the same in every culture; a delightful surprise.
    maybe living all their life 'on the road' give them the same attitude, what do you think about?

ikester

US - American English
    winnie said:
    is tilt-a whirl a kind of rollercoaster or what?
    No, the Tilt-A-Whirl is a revolving platform which undulates up and down, and you ride in a car which spins indepently on the platform.

"Chariot of Death", on the other hand, does sound like the name of a roller coaster.

ciao,

Silvia

Italian
    Per tilt-a-whirl, ho visto due tipi di immagini: una come quella descritta da Ike (disco volante) e una tipo giostra delle tazze.

Aeneas

U. S. - English
    You can find a picture and even a video of the ride by searching Tilt a Whirl at yahoo. The randomterrain site has the video.
    You would most likely not find one of these at a major amusement park with roller coasters. However, you can count on finding one at nearly every festival with rides along with the Zipper, the Ring of Fire, and, if you're lucky, the Gravitron. You will also encounter thousands of games designed to take your money. Being from the Midwest, where there is very little to do with your time, these festival rides were highlights of my summers until about age 10. Attending, and enjoying, these festivals would be considered by big city folk to be 'redneck' activities.

Re: Carnies - I think it is probably a combination of the effect of the lifestyle on them, and the personality of the person who decides to take that job. I found it very amusing that the characteristics (hygiene, apparel, preferred music, demeanor) of carnies thousands of miles apart were so similar.

winnie

italy, italian
    winnie said:
    hi everybody!

do anybody knows the Italian names of these carousels:
    1. merry-go-round
    2. tilt-a-whirl
    3. chariot of death
    i want to thank you very very much for your thoughtfulness.

< Previous | Next >