carpenter's yard

< Previous | Next >

giulietta92

Italian - Italy
What does "carpenter's yard" usually stand for? is it a courtyard of a woodworker, or is it a vast area where costruction workers and woodworkers etc work together?
In italian we have the same tranlsation for both, but they are different things
thank you :)

• Loob

English UK
    Could you give us some context, giulietta92?

Where did you find ""carpenter's yard"?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I don't think this is a common expression in English. Did you read or hear it somewhere?

I can't help wondering if this is a unit of measurement.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    What is the context? I am fairly well versed in the terminology of the construction trade, but it does not mean anything to me.

Where can this expression be found? What comes before? What comes after?

Andygc

British English
    OK. I know you have all asked for context, and that's fair enough. However, there is context in the OP, which I can rephrase as- "I looked them up in my IT-EN dictionary and two completely different things in Italian have the same phrase in English". On that basis, I don't think we can really expect more context.

A carpenters' yard is the workplace of a carpenter or group of carpenters. As a minimum it will include a covered but open-sided storage area for timber and a workshop containing one or more carpenter's work benches, possibly with machinery such as band-saw, lathe etc. There would also usually be an open yard used for loading and unloading vehicles.

It is a term that I heard fairly commonly when I was younger, but I haven't heard or seen it used for a long time.

The equivalent for general builders, builder's yard, seems to have remained current.

PS

It is not "a vast area where construction workers and woodworkers etc work together"

giulietta92

Italian - Italy
    the whole text is : " He walked slowly down the street, pausing every now and then to try the doors of shops or shine his tosch over a row of dustbins, the piles of wood weathering in the carpenter's yard, or the muddle of tyres..."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What does "carpenter's yard" usually stand for? is it a courtyard of a woodworker, or is it a vast area where costruction workers and woodworkers etc work together?
    In italian we have the same tranlsation for both, but they are different things
    thank you :)
    If you can depend on the punctuation being correct, then a "carpenter's yard" is a yard that belongs to, is used by, one carpenter.

But just in case, look at:
    Possessive: fisherman's, fishermans' or fishermans market?
    farmer's/farmers'/farmers market

the whole text is : " He walked slowly down the street, pausing every now and then to try the doors of shops or shine his tosch over a row of dustbins, the piles of wood weathering in the carpenter's yard, or the muddle of tyres..."
    And in this particular example, the "carpenter's yard" is almost certainly the open area adjacent to the place where one carpenter works.

< Previous | Next >