carpet burn on my face

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I read a book called Theft by Finding recently, and I don't understand a phrase in it(p199):
I have been a bad employee lately. I went to Betty's with a drug hangover and fell asleep on her floor. I had a terrible headache and woke up several hours later with a carpet burn on my face.

I think 'a carpet burn on my face' means ' a piece of carpet's mark on his face due to his long-time sleep on the carpet'. But I can't find a proper definition in the dictionary, there's only has 'If your face burns, it feels very hot:' as a verb. So what do you think of my understanding? And what's the correct definition of it?

Thanks in advance! :)

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    What causes carpet burns?
    A friction burn is a form of abrasion caused by the friction of skin rubbing against a surface. A friction burn may also be referred to as skinning, chafing, or a term named for the surface causing the burn such as rope burn, carpet burn or rug burn.
    Note the term 'friction burn'.

Hi, everyone!
    I read a book called Theft by Finding recently, and I don't understand a phrase in it(p199):
    I have been a bad employee lately. I went to Betty's with a drug hangover and fell asleep on her floor. I had a terrible headache and woke up several hours later with a carpet burn on my face.

I think 'a carpet burn on my face' means ' a piece of carpet's mark on his face due to his long-time sleep on the carpet'. But I can't find a proper definition in the dictionary, there's only has 'If your face burns, it feels very hot:' as a verb. So what do you think of my understanding? And what's the correct definition of it?

Thanks in advance! :)
    No, it's not just a mark; it's an abrasion like a skinned knee. Yes it would 'burn' --i.e. feeling somewhat like a light burn.

Swiss P has nailed it.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    As SwissPete notes, a carpet burn is caused by friction. I don't really see how someone can get such a 'burn" when they've just been asleep on a carpet. Either this person was writhing around in their sleep, the carpet was very rough, or they had very sensitive skin.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    As SwissPete notes, a carpet burn is caused by friction. I don't really see how someone can get such a 'burn" when they've just been asleep on a carpet. Either this person was writhing around in their sleep, the carpet was very rough, or they had very sensitive skin.
    Acting out a sex dream, perhaps. :D

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Or someone grabbed their feet and hauled them into a corner. Or they fell or crawled on the carpet. Or convulsed.

Or any of the above. Nothing good, for sure.

forgoodorill

Chinese
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thanks all of you!
    Thanks, GreenWhiteBlue!:)
    Thanks, SwissPete!:)
    Thanks, Bennymix!:)
    Thanks,velisarius!:)
    Thanks, You little ripper!:)
    Thanks, Ponyprof!:)
    And Thanks, Roxxxannne!:)

< Previous | Next >