carpet/carpets

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all,

I came across the following sentence on Reddit:

I was then just looking at carpets in my price range when even carpets half the price felt just as good.

Isn't "carpet" usually uncountable (no -s on the end)?

• Barque

Tamil
    No. It could be both. It's more usually countable.

The carpets he was looking at are individual things that can be rolled up, taken home and spread on a floor. They're countable.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    So if it doesn't cover the whole floor, it is "a carpet". If it does, then it's just "carpet"?

added: I just found another example of uncountable "carpet" on the internet:

Morgan says an organization should use the process to consider risks when even carpet is being removed from an area and replaced.

I'm not sure why in this context "carpet" is suddenly uncountable.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    You can pick up a carpet and move it somewhere else. It's a unique thing of a certain length and width. It has finished edges.

In the second picture, which we call wall-to wall carpeting, at least in the U.S., it has no predetermined shape, it's cut to fit the shape of the room, it doesn't have finished edges, it's attached to the floor and can't be moved. It's not a thing, it's a material - like tile or wood. You don't say a wood either. You can say a tile about one tile, but not when it covers the whole floor. It's just tile. It's just wood. It's just carpet.

< Previous | Next >