carpet runners

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

What do you think of when I saw "carpet runners"? I wanted to refer to rugs, mostly, but as rugs can be made of thinner, more cloth-like material, I wanted to use the word "runner" in an article I wrote on Romanian crafts. However, when I looked it up online ("carpet runners," that is), I found only images of long, long narrow carpets in hallways and on staircases. Is that how it's used? Should I then say simply runners? I did want to mention that they look like small carpets.

Thank you!

• George French

English - UK
    If I remember correctly carpet runners are the wood or metal rods that are used to hold carpets in place: especially on stairs.

GF..

No, I got it wrong.. The runners are the stair carpets.... They are held in place by stair rods..........

Second update:-

http://www.rensup.com/Products/Cat-716.htm show runners as being carpets for the stairs.. Or is it a UK-US difference??

Last edited:

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I have only ever known 'carpet runner' to mean a long, narrow carpet or rug.
    I'm afraid that 'runner' on its own doesn't mean anything different.

Edit: I do agree with George that the 'runner' is also the rod or piece of wood used to hold a stair carpet in place

Myridon

English - US
    You can also have a "table runner" - a long narrow piece of cloth that goes down the middle of the table.

susanna76

Romanian
    Thank you all. Myridon (and Bevj): That's also why I wanted to be more specific, and say "carpet runners." But apparently, according to what I've seen in Google Images and what you all say, those are LONG runners. So what about a small rug then? Is it ok to call it a carpet runner? Can "runner" alone accommodate small runners better?

Packard

USA, English
    I have "carpet runners" in my hallways. I live on one floor--no stairs. They measure 27" to 36" in width. Some are pre-finished sizes, and others are sold in rolls to be cut to length.

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you all. Myridon (and Bevj): That's also why I wanted to be more specific, and say "carpet runners." But apparently, according to what I've seen in Google Images and what you all say, those are LONG runners. So what about a small rug then? Is it ok to call it a carpet runner? Can "runner" alone accommodate small runners better?
    I would call the small ones "scatter rugs" or if very small "door mats".

Scatter rugs cover a larger size variation. Door mat would be small enough to sit in front of a door--about 24" x 36".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think the designation runner (carpet or table) indicates that the length is several times the width. A small carpet/rug, like you are describing is called, well, a small carpet/rug.
    Merriam-Webster has it among other things as
    a : a long narrow carpet for a hall or staircase
    b : a narrow decorative cloth cover for a table or dresser top

susanna76

Romanian
    Wow, thank you all. "Scatter rugs" is a great idea. And JulianStuart, thank you for that dictionary entry: so runner is, indeed, a LONG narrow carpet, even as it still can include smaller lengths; Packard's runners are smaller than a staircase runner, for instance (so thank you, Packard).

George French and Bevj: I forgot to thank you both for letting me know about this other meaning of "runner," namely the metal rods that hold a staircase runner in place.

< Previous | Next >