carpet shuffle

*cat*

Slovene
Hello,

I'm wondering what does "carpet shuffle" mean? Can you please help me?

Context:
Whatever else it was there would be no chance they could pull away now, no morning coffee, no conference room cigarette, no nonchalant carpet shuffle; the waiting had been made magical.

Thanks.

• ewie

English English
    Hello Cat. Could you give us a bit more context? ~ who are they? how has the situation changed? etc.

Nothing comes to mind other than people shuffling in embarrassment on carpet.

*cat*

Slovene
    It's describing Philippe Petit - when he walked on wire between WTC towers. They are different people, who are watching what he is doing. First they thought he's going to jump, but now when they know what he's up to, nothing can get them somewhere else - they'll stay there.

ewie

English English
    So ... are these people who are supposed to be going about their daily business in offices, watching PP doing his stuff? ~ was that one of his 'unofficial' stunts?

(I watched a whole programme about him on tv recently but had my head down a lot of the time because I suffer from chronic vertigo:D)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    This may seem shockingly simple, but I think it means nothing more than to amble around on the office floor, which is carpeted.

Here's another example:

... and window offices, and pours into the streets of downtown Seattle, happy to trade the industrial carpet shuffle for a lunch-long strut on the pavement. ...
    search.nwsource.com/search?searchtype=cq&similarto... -

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    They are people going about their normal business who stopped to watch what at first looked like a jumper - someone committing suicide. Once they realised that he was going to attempt to walk the wire, "the waiting became magical".
    So whatever the carpet shuffle might be, it is another bit of ordinary boring office life.

You'll find a bit more of the text HERE.

*cat*

Slovene
    (I watched a whole programme about him on tv recently but had my head down a lot of the time because I suffer from chronic vertigo:D)
    Oh, don't tell me; I just watched "Man on the wire" and my mouth were wide open half of the time, I forgot to breathe even.

This may seem shockingly simple, but I think it means nothing more than to amble around on the office floor, which is carpeted.
    This sound good. I was trying so hard to find the definition or meaning of carpet shuffle, but I never thought about that.

So whatever the carpet shuffle might be, it is another bit of ordinary boring office life.
    Yes, I agree. What's going on there is magical, everything else is pure boredom. I guess the author wanted to stress their desire to watch - but ... coffee, cigarette - these are "good" things, when "carpet shuffle" is realy something truly boring.

< Previous | Next >