Carried a black eye

Hotmale

Polish
Hello :)
Is "carried" the correct verb in my sentece?
"He walked into a steet sign and carried a black eye."

Thank you

• clairanne

english UK
    Hi

I would say "He walked into a steet sign and gave himself a black eye."

"Carry" = "to have" is usually used as in:

"In some countries, murder carries the death penalty". or
    "Our cars carry a twelve-month guarantee."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    Hello :)
    Is "carried" the correct verb in my sentece?
    "He walked into a steet sign and carried a black eye."

Thank you

I think "He walked into a street sign and got (himself) a black eye." is a nice one.

If you wish to use the verb "sport", it's better to say "He walked into a street sign and started to sport a black eye"

clairanne

english UK
    I think "He walked into a street sign and got (himself) a black eye." is a nice one.

If you wish to use the verb "sport", it's better to say "He walked into a street sign and started to sport a black eye"

Hi

I have never heard anyone say "started to sport a black eye" or "got (himself) a black eye." I stick by my original phrase "He walked into a steet sign and gave himself a black eye." and agree with The Scrivener that he is now "sporting" a black eye.

Alternatively:-

"He walked into a steet sign and he is now "sporting" a black eye."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    Hi

I have never heard anyone say "started to sport a black eye" or "got (himself) a black eye." I stick by my original phrase "He walked into a steet sign and gave himself a black eye." and agree with The Scrivener that he is now "sporting" a black eye.

Alternatively:-

"He walked into a steet sign and he is now "sporting" a black eye."

How about this: "He walked into a street sign and he has been sporting a black eye ever since."

I'm quite sure that I've heard of the first sentence spoken by AE speakers, but I can, of course, be mistaken, and I'm sure you must know better than I do. (no wonder hotmale didn't want to thank me, hehe...)

Edit: Is "steet" the BE version of "street" ?

clairanne

english UK
    hi

Ok- Sorry so I don't always proof read - Was in a hurry -no excuse!!

I would probably say "stweet as I sometimes have trouble with "r" Freudian slip maybe!!!!!!

Regards

Hotmale

Polish
    How about this: "He walked into a street sign and he has been sporting a black eye ever since."

I'm quite sure that I've heard of the first sentence spoken by AE speakers, but I can, of course, be mistaken, and I'm sure you must know better than I do. (no wonder hotmale didn't want to thank me, hehe...)

Edit: Is "steet" the BE version of "street" ?

I didn't thank you? I am sorry, I am such a rude :)

Have a good Sunday :)
    Hotmale