carry a certain number of <credits> [school]

Salavat

Russian
Could you give me an explanation of the word?

I found it in the book about disability rights movement.
This was from the following sentence: ""She wanted us all to get A's and to carry a certain number of credits," recalls Roberts."

The book title is "No pity: People with disabilities forging a new civil rights movement."
Thank you

• ARGMAN

Arabic
    I think we'll need more context. However, that could mean "duty", like in "you have to carry out some duties"

OR

It could be another meaning of credit which is "a unit of study" in case they are students (I see that from the "A's"). Which hence means that she wanted them to carry a certain amount of credits, say 12. For instance, they have to take 4 courses with 3 credits each.

Copyright

American English
    I imagine they're talking about course credits: A course credit (often credit hour, or just credit or "unit") is a unit that gives weight to the value, level or time requirements of an academic course taken at a school or other educational institution.

In high schools, where all courses are usually the same number of hours, often meeting every day, students earn one credit for a course that lasts all year, or a half credit per course per semester.

In a college or university, students typically receive credit hours based on the number of "contact hours" per week in class, for one term; formally, Semester Credit Hours.

There's more on that Wikipedia link.

< Previous | Next >