Cart, dray, trolley, dolly

truce

Persian
Greetings,
What is the best name for the device in the image?
Cart, dray, trolley, carriage or another name?

Attachments

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'd call it a trolley, a term that covers a variety of wheeled items with a handle to hold and transport goods of various sorts by pushing along. I call the supermarket 'carts', trolleys too.

A 'dolley' to my mind has no handle; it's just a very low platform with wheels, for moving furniture.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Another vote for trolley. This might reflect BrE use, where supermarkets and airports have trolleys. (Americans prefer cart here?) I think of food carts, on the other hand.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No wonder your supermarkets are big... I bet you can't get many of them in an aisle.

A British trolleybus:

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    I would call it a cart. A dolly is usually very close to the ground and has swivel casters in place of wheels.

This is what I think of when I hear "dolly":

Piatkow

English - London
    The last example is called a "sack truck" by suppliers in the UK but is also often called a "sack barrow".

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The last example is called a "sack truck" by suppliers in the UK but is also often called a "sack barrow".
    We call it a "handtruck" where I work.

And since no one else has mentioned it, to me a dray is a vehicle that (a) is capable of carrying heavy loads, and (b) has a specific means of motive power:

Last edited:

Piatkow

English - London
    In the UK "dray" was typically applied to a flatbed cart, one of the last regular uses being to deliver beer. The crew of a truck/lorry delivering to a pub are still called draymen.

< Previous | Next >