Spanish to English cartera

Dictionary entry: cartera
< Previous | Next >
I

izzyvioletluso

For the word 'cartera' the definition is divided by 'women' and 'men', meaning 'purse/handbag' for women and 'billfold/wallet' for men. Why would this be the case?? Can women not use wallets? Can men not carry bags??

• fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    That's correct, izzyvioletuso. The current entry accurately reflects gender roles and stereotypes in the cultures of English-speaking countries. The English language currently draws clear lines between the articles used by women and those used by men. The same type of money-holder will be called a "wallet" if a man uses it, and a "handbag" if a woman uses it, even if they are nearly identical in design. Likewise, a bag carried by a man will not be called a "purse". Thank you for your report.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I don't think "handbag" should be in the first Sense though. It is about "billetera, monedero", ie, a small object you can hold in your hand and put in your (hand)bag to hold coins.
    cartera | Diccionario de la lengua española
    1. f. Objeto cuadrangular de pequeñas dimensiones hecho de piel u otro material, plegado por su mitad, quepuede llevarse en el bolsillo y sirve para contener documentos, tarjetas, billetes de banco, etc.
    The "bag" sense is further down:

cartera nfAmL (bolsa de mano)handbag n
    bag n
    purse n
    Ana sacó el teléfono de su cartera y llamó a su hija.

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    I don't work in the fashion industry, but my understanding is that handbags come in all sizes, including a small version that is also called a clutch. The smallest size handbags are essentially a wallet.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I wouldn't say that the equivalent of a man's wallet is a handbag, right?
    This would not be called a handbag, right?

And if you wanted to include "clutch", it should still be in the other Sense, more further down. It is not a "billetera, monedero", as indicated in the sense.

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Ah, I see the point, now. I wasn't looking globally at both entries. Since the women's equivalents are in the other sense that you mention, I'll remove the gender distinctions from the first entry, as suggested in the original report.

< Previous | Next >