carton (cinéma)

Belen13

English
Hi,

What is the correct term for a carton in editing process, I've seen dialogue card and 'insert' elsewhere here but my sentence is 'sont en italiques les cartons ou inserts, les titres d’œuvres...'

Thank you

• Bondstreet

English (UK)
    Do you mean an inserted "text panel" to carry the translated text? As here: (Pas de lien vidéo sans accord préalable)

Last edited by a moderator:

Belen13

English
    hmmm, could be but these 'text panels' look like an alternative to subtitles. This is when there is a written explanation on screen but different from insert?

Belen13

English
    Sorry, I'm not sure what I meant either, a little confused. I guess text panels is what I'm looking for, many thanks.

Carpemu

French - France
    Sorry to get your question that late, Belen 13.
    I guess the EN for "carton" in a film can be either "dialog card", "title card" or insert - depends on the type of "carton" and the film (a silent film or a creative one like Godard's for example).
    Or wasn't your sentence referring to FR typographical convention, which then would be : "sont en italiques [dans?] les cartons ou inserts, les titres d’œuvres...", since italics is to be used for titles and can also be used for quotations.

But you probably found the proper word since then ;0)

< Previous | Next >