cascade in my maytag [Cascade in my Maytag]

< Previous | Next >

subtitler

Finland
Hiya!

I'm translating a movie in which there's a girl who used to be rich but then her fairy godmother turns her into a maid, cause she's so spoiled. She's asking for help from her colleague, a cook, in how to use the washing machine. The cook replies "Come on then, I don't wanna end up with cascade in my maytag." How would you understand this? I have an idea, but I'm not sure... Thanks!

• subtitler

Finland
    Let me tell you what I thought it might mean. If Maytag is a brand of cheese (isn't it?) then could it mean that she hopes that the fairy godmother won't put a spell on her and make her cheese floor all over the place or something? No..?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Maytag is not a type of cheese, as far as I know, but it is a brand of electrical appliance, so I suspect it must be the washing machine. A cascade is a small waterfall. Is is possible that you've left out an article? A cascade from my Maytag would mean a lot of water coming out of my washing machine.

subtitler

Finland
    Maytag is not a type of cheese, as far as I know, but it is a brand of electrical appliance, so I suspect it must be the washing machine. A cascade is a small waterfall. Is is possible that you've left out an article? A cascade from my Maytag would mean a lot of water coming out of my washing machine.

Yes, that would make sense! Thanks ever so much! :)

sdgraham

USA English
    It's hard to tell since you didn't capitalize Maytag (a trademarked name) but Cascade is an American brand of dishwashing detergent for automatic washers. It is made by Procter and Gamble.

Maytag is the brand name for many household appliances, including automatic dishwashers, so the reference is obscure.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It's hard to tell since you didn't capitalize Maytag (a trademarked name) but Cascade is an American brand of dishwashing detergent for automatic washers. It is made by Procter and Gamble.

Maytag is the brand name for many household appliances, including automatic dishwashers, so the reference is obscure.
    Thank you sdg. That might explain the absence of an article before cascade. What the cook is saying is that he/she doesn't want dishwasher detergent in the washing machine for clothes.

< Previous | Next >