case à cocher

birder

Help, please. No idea what this means in the contextÇ

...utilisant la procèdure d'opposition accessible via son compte d'utilisateur (CASE À COCHER) et ansi...

The parentheses are in the original French.

Merci. :)

• broglet

English - England
    Yes - 'check box' is American and sounds to an English ear like a box for cheques. We say tickbox in the UK and we put ticks :tick: in them. They put crosses :cross: in their check boxes.

birder

Well I can tell you that "check box" is not North American, neither Canadian nor US, if you are referring to places on forms for making selections. I even thought that the European French might be referring to some sort of safety deposit box since the document was dealing with banking.

We just call the other thing used for filling out forms a "box", no adjective required or desired, as in, "Please check the appropiate box to pay by Visa or MasterCard" with "check" being a verb, not an adjective. ;)

Another friend here thought that "check box" might be a place for storing checks (US) / chequies (Canada). :)

Merle

English
    What do you all think of "mark the appropriate box"? I'm working on an English text for Europeans with English as a second language. In the text "check" is already used as a verb, as in "double check" or "verify." I want to be super-clear.

Aline Si

French
    In an assessment I gave last month, I used "Please write your comments and tick one box per question".
    I don't know if it's correct but everybody understood :)

Merle

English
    Thanks to you both. Tick is very UK, and odd to a US ear. But is it probable that Europeans who speak English have a British vocabulary? Does "mark" sound odd to you?

< Previous | Next >