Case of the burps

Gioacchino

Italian
Hello, I heard a native speaker saying that some foods can give you a "case of the burps" because they take a while for your body to digest. The sentence is from a YouTube video meant to explain burps to kids. What is a "case of the burps"? To be specific, how many times should somebody burp for you to say they have a case of the burps? Is one burp or a couple of burps enough, or are many burps required? I'm sorry if this topic sounds gross, but learnes have to do dirty works sometimes. Thank youuuu

• owlman5

English-US
    What is a "case of the burps"?
    It should refer to a period of time during which somebody burps with unusual frequency.

To be specific, how many times should somebody burp for you to say they have a case of the burps?
    I haven't thought about it before, but I expect a case of the burps to involve more than one or two burps. Three or four burps might be enough to qualify as a case of the burps...

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    It's not an official term, so you can interpret it however you like, but, as Owlman says, it should be more than one burp. The analogy is to "case of the hiccups," but of course hiccups normally occur in series while most burps do not. (I may not be hanging around enough serious beer-drinkers.)