case used with σαν

modus.irrealis

English, Canada
Hi,

I had a question about the cases used with σαν when it's used more or less like a preposition. Trying to come up with examples of things I'd say (which I know doesn't mean much :)), the only differences I could think of were

1) Accusative is used with the article but the nominative without the article.

2) When σαν means "in the capacity of" it's nominative (but I'm thinking that in this case you don't use the article anyway, so this would be a special case of 1).

But I'm sure 1 is not right, since a Google search and some of the results have the nominative with the article (where σαν is not just a conjunction). I'm more confident of 2, but not that confident, so I was hoping someone could clear up the situation.

• ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Let's see what we've got here. The presence or absence of the article has more to do with the meaning than anything else. When "san" is used to make a simile the article is generally present quite often.
    When san is used to show "in the capacity of" the article is generally not present. It can however appear here and there.

Ήταν δυνατός σαν λιοντάρι
    Ρουφάει το κρασί σαν τον Αλέκο (simile with something generic/specific)

Σαν πρόεδρος της κοινότητας έχω ευθύνη για αυτό

However, "in the capacity of" can be in accusative too

Τον επευφήμησαν σαν τον νέο πρόεδρο της κοινότητας.

modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    Thanks Irene for your post, but I have a follow up question for you. Can you think of a sentence where you'd say σαν ο πρόεδρος or would it always be σαν πρόεδρος?

parakseno

Romanian, Romania
    Can you think of a sentence where you'd say σαν ο πρόεδρος or would it always be σαν πρόεδρος?
    How about:
    "Σαν ο πρόεδρος της χώρας μας, δεν υπάρχει άλλος."
    "Πέρασε στην αθανασία, σαν ο πρόεδρος με τα γέλια."
    ?

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Parakseno's first example needs an accusative but the second is perfect.

Think of the Σας μιλάω σαν (ο) πρόεδρος, όχι σαν (ο) Γιάννης ο χασάπης που όλοι ξέρετε και αγαπάτε και προτιμάτε για τα καλά, ντόπια κρέατα δικής μας παραγωγής.

< Previous | Next >