cash’n’carry card

Shahruzraad

Farsi
The text is from a play called Jerusalem. What "cash’n’carry card" referring to? Do the Bar owners get any coupons?

WESLEY: I’m the reason that pub’s full five nights a week. Swindon knows that. Last Monday, lunchtime, the regional lays five brochures on the bar. Take your pick. The Plume in Devizes, The Mason’s in Salisbury, The Green Man in Oxford, somewhere in Banbury. And somewhere else in somewhere else. All good inns. Take your pick. Who do they bring the fucking brochures to? Sue? Bollocks. Me. They trust me. Sometimes I want to take Sue and drive her off into the middle of nowhere… Stupid… bloody… bitch. I never even touched the bloody cash’n’carry card

• Loob

English UK
    The meaning of cash'n'carry card is explained in cidertree's post.

I'm sorry, I don't know why Wesley mentions the card. That's presumably explained elsewhere in the play.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I have never heard of a cash and carry. I read the other thread. Stores here buy things from wholesalers/distributors through an account and they are usually delivered.

Myridon

English - US
    I have never heard of a cash and carry. I read the other thread. Stores here buy things from wholesalers/distributors through an account and they are usually delivered.
    In order to buy something truly wholesale in the US, you often need a tax ID or a retail license because the taxes to be paid by the retail customer are not part of the wholesale price. (We don't have VAT paid up-front.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    I buy things tax-free for resale. You do have to be registered with the state and have a certificate number because you are responsible for collecting and remitting taxes on those things when you do sell them - even to yourself. But anybody could go out and get one tomorrow. There's no great barrier. But there are legal responsibilities involved when you do.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    They had "cash 'n' carry" in the UK when I left in '75 (but I have no idea what happened since then) - you needed some qualification to get in (and a friend had one, but I don't know who qualified) but you paid and you carried out bulk-packaged items. The closest in the US, as far as I can tell, is something like Costco or Sam's club, where you pay an annual fee and benefit from the price reductions that come with huge quantity purches. Costco - Wikipedia It's nott wholesale because you pay sales tax as appopriate. Unless you are a member, you can't get in.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    And I think that's just marketing. There is no legal basis to that.

From Sam's Club site:

Membership Required​
    Overview of Membership Requirements:​
    1. Membership fees enable Sam's Club to carry less operating overhead.​
    2. This, along with our high volume buying structure, allows us to give you deep discounts on products for your home and business.​

In my experience, the kind of things businesses buy from places like that is things they use, not things they sell. Things like cleaning supplies and toilet paper and break room snacks and sundries like that. They wouldn't buy those wholesale anyway.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    And I think that's just marketing. There is no legal basis to that.
    But as far as I know it is roughly equivalent to how the the Cash'n'Carry in the OP operates. (I wasn't making any comment on wholesalers and how they operate). When I said "you needed some qualification to get in (and a friend had one, but I don't know who qualified)" I suspect this is basis for the card referred to in the OP).

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    I find it difficult to understand the relevance of US commercial practices to the meaning of "cash'n'carry" in southern England.

Yes, JS, they still exist. It's a wholesale shop aimed at small businesses. The potential customer must prove they run a business so that they can be issued with a card that allows them to use the shop. Friends of mine had one to buy supplies for their bed & breakfast business.

I don't understand What Wesley means by that. the regional is gonna sell him cash and carry? that's why he brings brochures?
    From the text provided:
    Swindon = the pub company's regional office (ie, in the town of Swindon)
    "regional" = the regional manager.
    Brochures = details of other pubs that are being offered to Wesley because he is a good pub manager. He has been invited to pick whichever one he prefers.

The text doesn't tell us who used the cash'n'carry card, but it wasn't Wesley. The context suggests that it has been misused.