cash settlement <was><is> acceptable

cyrus200302

Chinese
With regard to two sentences as below:

In order to avoid any inconvenience caused in this case, you confirmed preiously in our communication that cash settlement was
acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 had occurred as a result of import custom inspection.

In order to avoid any inconvenience caused in this case, you confirmed preiously in our communication that cash settlement is acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 occurred as a result of import custom inspection.

Please check which one is correct. Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, cyrus200302.

Welcome to the forum. :)

We require specific questions, so I have indicated the differences between the two sentences in blue, so we can focus on them.
    confirmed previously in our communication that cash settlement was acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 had occurred as a result of import custom inspection.

confirmed previously in our communication that cash settlement is acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 occurred as a result of import custom inspection.

Concerning is/was: both are grammatically possible after 'confirmed', but I would use 'is' if you mean that cash settlement is still acceptable. It makes that clearer.

However, the last part is not clear to me. Did the port inspection that brought about the additional charges happen in the past?

cyrus200302

Chinese
    Thank you for your clarification.

Actually, the inspection cost as informed was paid by the freight forwarder last week and now they are requesting us to settle such charge so that our assigned trucker can pick up the pallet of goods from their warehouse without rejection.

I am puzzled that I am not sure the tenses of “is” and “occurred” should be changed to “was” and “had occurred” under reported speech grammar structure. Please advise.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Suppose the original statement was
    "We confirm that cash settlement is acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 that occurred as a result of import custom inspection."
    ('That' is needed here.)
    If you put the statement into the past, you can follow the usual rules for reported speech and backshift the tenses:
    "You confirmed previously that cash settlement was acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 that had occurred as a result of import custom inspection."

However, when we are talking about something that is still true in the present, we don't always backshift. It is a stylistic choice, but sometimes keeping the tenses makes the meaning clearer.
    "You confirmed previously that cash settlement is acceptable for the additional charges of HKD230 that occurred as a result of import custom inspection."

A thread that may interest you: Reported speech, ongoing truth. He claimed the Earth was flat.

cyrus200302

Chinese
    Thank you for your prompt reply addressing my issues thoroughly.

Besides, I think the wording "occurred" that may not truely reflect the content of the sentence. Would you please advise if any word can be used to replace "occurred" and to show the meaning precisely.

< Previous | Next >