casi me caigo de espaldas

chut

Spanish-Spain
Hola:
Quiero decir "casi me caigo de espaldas cuando he visto tu foto con Gis.." (me refiero a que ella me ha gustado tanto..que me ha "epatado")

My try is:
"I almost fall backwards when I've seen your photo with Gis"

¿En inglés tiene el mismo sentido que en español, sentido positivo, ese "me caigo de espaldas"?

Gracias
chut

• chut

Spanish-Spain
    What does epatado mean?
    epatar: asombrar o producir asombro o admiración.

Ella me ha encantado tanto...que me he caido de espaldas...This is the context...

Do you understand this sentence? (in a positive meaning)
    "I almost fall backwards when I've seen your photo with Gis"

Thanks
    chut

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    I almost fell over backwards when I saw your photo with Gis.
    In English that sentence could be positive or negative, depending on the context. You could be saying that because you were shocked at how fat she had gotten, or because she did something dramatic with her hair that looked awful. Or you could be saying that because she looked really, really great in the photo. If it wasn't already clear, you would have to follow that sentence with an explanation of why you almost fell over.

"I almost fell over backwards when I saw your photo with Gis! Man, you looked great!!"

A similar expression we use in the US when we are highly impressed with something is "It really blew me away."

"I saw your picture the other day. You looked so beautiful that it really blew me away."

slazenger14

En Inglés, no usaríamos el presente perfecto : He visto. Por lo tanto, NO diríamos esto: I almost fell backwards when I have (I've). Pero mejor dicho, I almost fell backwards when I saw your photo with Gis.
    Otra cosa más, no yo sabía que uds usaran el presente perfecto en lugar del pretérito? Casi me caigo de espaldas cuando yo vi tu foto con Gis.
    De todos modos, ojalá esto te sirva.

gengo

American English
    Otra cosa más, no yo sabía que uds usan el presente perfecto en lugar del pretérito? Casi me caigo de espaldas cuando yo vi tu foto con Gis.
    The present perfect is used much more often in Spanish (and especially in Spain, I think) than in English. You will often see instances of its use where the simple past would be used in English, as here.

gengo

American English
    Nunca se usa el presente perfecto por alguna razón.
    Really!? I am skeptical of that.

I just searched for various verb conjugations in the present perfect (han hecho, etc.), limiting the search to .ar domains, and I find lots of hits.

Why do you think it isn't used in Argentina? I was only there for a week or so, but I didn't notice that it wasn't used.

< Previous | Next >