cassette recorder part

< Previous | Next >

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
Hi, again,Please tell me which of these is used when referring to the special part of a cassette recorder where cassettes are inserted: nest, jack or socket.These are what my dictionary suggests, but when I googled them on images, they all didn't seem to function.Thank you

• mtmjr

English (US)
    I'm not so sure that there is a name. Frankly, I'm so young that I barely have any memories of cassette players... What is the sentence that you want to use it in?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Frankly, I'm so young that I barely have any memories of cassette players.
    Ouch - a dagger to my heart! They're still around, you know, mtmjr - it's not like we're talking eight-tracks here (don't ask!).:D

If I reach back into the mists of time, we called the place where you slid in the cassette, the "deck". That's why tape cassette players were often called "tape decks".

sdgraham

USA English
    If you want to talk really old, i.e. before eight-track, a "tape deck" was for playing reel-to-reel tapes that were mounted on spindles on the face or top of the device. I'm not sure that the term ever applied specifically to the slot on a cassette player.

Certainly never "nest," "jack" or "socket."

The user manual for my video cassette recorder (Sony) calls the place where the VHS tape resides the tape compartment.

mtmjr

English (US)
    I've definitely heard "tape deck" used in reference to such a spot in a player. That is not to say, however, that "tape compartment" would not be understood as well.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    If you want to talk really old, i.e. before eight-track, a "tape deck" was for playing reel-to-reel tapes that were mounted on spindles on the face or top of the device. I'm not sure that the term ever applied specifically to the slot on a cassette player.

Certainly never "nest," "jack" or "socket."

The user manual for my video cassette recorder (Sony) calls the place where the VHS tape resides the tape compartment.
    I just remember "reel-to-reels" as being called just that, never a "tape deck". It might be a regional thing but I can remember using the phrase "slide a tape into the deck" when referring to a cassette tape player. Gosh, we were so cool and those machines were so high-tech!

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I also remember reel-to-reels being called "tape decks" and would call the place where you slide in the cassette "the tape compartment".

(Dimcl, what about four-tracks???) :D

ewie

English English
    MTM, your dagger went straight through Dimcl and is now lodged in my heart.
    If I was feeling technically-minded, I'd call it the deck; otherwise the bit where the tapes go.

I have an amusing-ish anecdote, which is more or less true. Some time in the 1980s a young-teenage character in a British tv soap opera announced to her mum one day, "I'm going upstairs to listen to some tapes." That actress left the show ~ she had to go to school or something. By the time the character reappeared some ten years later, tapes were a thing of the past. Hohum.

< Previous | Next >