1. 19sunflower Senior Member

British English
    Hi,

Is the term castellano andino used to refer to the Spanish spoken in Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador etc in general?

2. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
  3. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I don't think so; there are many differences in the Spanish spoken in the many "andino" countries...

Addition: By far, the majority of Argentinians and Chileans do not talk -and most probably don't even know- what the Wikipedia article calls "español andino". And I suspect that something similar happens in at least some other countries crossed by the Andes...

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. jasminasul

jasminasul Senior Member

Spanish
    Andean Spanish?

5. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    Estoy contigo, Oldy Nuts. De hecho, hasta hoy nunca lo había visto aunque podría haber deducido que se trataba de una manera de hablar el castellano típica de ciertas zonas andinas (pero de ahí a llamarlo "dialecto", hmm... no sé).

6. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Well, sunflower asked specifically if one could use the term "español andino" to "the Spanish spoken in Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador etc in general" (my emphasis). From what I gather from the articlde in Wikipedia, the term refers to Spanish as spoken in specific areas in the Andes, as you say. And I seriously doubt that Spanish spoken in northern Andean regions in Chile and Argentina is very close to that spoken in Andean regions in Colombia and Venezuela...

7. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    I agree, Oldy Nuts! Sunflower, would you like tell us where you heard this term?

8. 19sunflower Senior Member

British English
    It's in some notes I was given by my tutor. I can't contact her because she is away on business, so I wondered if anyone here knew.

9. Lindelea

Lindelea Senior Member

Montpellier, France
    Spanish - Venezuela
    Cierto, el español hablado en Peru, Venezuela y Ecuador es diferente, primera vez que leo eso de "castellano andino", que locura.