1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

cataract

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bg1996, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bg1996

bg1996 Senior Member

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
    "Cataracts is a condition that affects the transparency of the lenses."

Why does "is" appear here? not "are"?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    While "cataract" describes the phenomenon, the name of the condition/disease is "cataracts." This is also the case with "shingles," I believe.

3. Ecossaise Senior Member

English
    Turn it round: A condition [that affects the transparency of the lenses] is cataracts.

"is" relates to condition.

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Cataracts is a name. So is the Rolling Stones, which is a very famous band. And the Seychelles is an archipelago and a nation. The Doldrums is a legendary weather phenomenon.

5. xtrasystole

xtrasystole Senior Member

France
    Also: 'the United States is a great country'.

6. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    Is Cataract or cataracts the name of disease of eyes?
    According to Collins Cobuild: Cataracts usually develop because of old age or illness.
    According to online Longman: Cataract is a medical condition that causes the lens of your eye to become white, so that you slowly lose your sight.
    So, I guess both cataracts and cataract mean same thing, if you use plural form, a regular verb follows, if you use singular form then verb+S.
    What do you think?

7. bg1996

bg1996 Senior Member

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
    Thanks, all.
    As what fatbaby said, this's also from my dictionary:
    "Cataracts are layers over a person's eyes that prevent them from seeing properly."
    "A cataract is a layer..."
    And in OED, the word is referred to as a count noun.

So, "Cataracts is a condition that affects the transparency of the lenses." is wrong or a typo, though it's also from my Collins dictionary.

8. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    There are lots of diseases that end in -s but are singular:
    - Measles is (not) a life-threatening disease.
    - Mumps is (not) a life-threatening disease.
    - Shingles is (not) a life-threating disease.
    - Cataracts is (not) a life-threatening disease.

The Oxford English Dictionary says that measles and mumps are 'in plural form, usually with singular concord'. It doesn't make any similar comment on shingles or cataracts, but I think they are commonly used in the same way.

9. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Opacity in one eye is a cataract. I have never heard of a measle, a mump, or a shingle (for a pustule, or whatever). There is such a thing as a pock, but usually pox is taken as singular.

10. takiakos76 Senior Member

Hungarian
    Hm, confusing... in the above posts (and also elsewhere) you can see cataracts both used as plural and singular. My guesses, to summarize:
    - He has a cataract ==> has it in one eye only
    - His cataracts are not looking good ==> has them definitely in both eyes?
    - His cataracts is getting worse ==> he has the disease, either in one or in both eyes

Correct?

Thanks!

11. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    In this context, "His cataracts is" sounds odd, but:

Cataracts mainly affects older adults.:tick:

12. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm pretty sure "cataracts" is plural for me:
    His cataracts are getting worse.
    Cataracts mainly affect older adults.

13. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Me too.
    The word is not in the same category as mumps, measles, and shingles. We can have a cataract, but not a mump, a measle, or a shingle.
    I would not say "Cataracts is a disease", and I wouldn't say "Cataracts are a disease" either. They are instances or manifestations of a condition, and although the condition can be described in an abstract way as "cataracts", we would not say "John has cataracts" when he has only one cataract.