catch hell for [also: catch heck for]

cfu507

Hebrew
- Did you catch hell for cheating?
- Yes. The teacher lectured me and gave me zero on the exam.

Catch hell means to get a scolding or lecture.

Do people really say "catch hell", is it common only between teenagers or kids?

• Agate

USA/France
    "Catch hell" is a very casual expression, mostly used in conversation but well understood by people of all ages.

cfu507

Hebrew
    "Catch hell" is a very casual expression, mostly used in conversation but well understood by people of all ages.
    Hi Agate, can you please explain me what you mean by casual expression. I know what casual and expression mean separately, but I don't understand what it means together.

cfu507

Hebrew
    So, if my boss caught me chating on Facebook or here with you and rebuked me in his office, I can tell at the end of the day:

I've caught hell at work
    or maybe
    Have I caught hell at work!

Sohuld I use it as a verb?

Thank you

Agate

USA/France
    Hi cfu507!

Casual language as opposed to more formal language one would use in writing for example. To "catch hell" is a colorful, fun expression that carries a specific meaning
    but it would mostly be used in conversation. Does that help?

jazzandlatin

French
    Hi

Just wanted to be sure if this expression means 'i'll get angry ? mad ? with this post'

Same for 'I know I'm going to catch heck for this'

Thanks a lot

ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, Jazz:)

Catch heck for means 'get into trouble for'. It's the children's version* of catch hell for, for which phrase see above.

* Or the version used by people who are very very very very easily offended.

ewie

English English
    I presume you mean catch heck for, specifically, Thelb ... ?
    No, I can't say I've ever heard it before either: I don't know anyone quite so oath-mincing as that:)

< Previous | Next >