catch me up to speed

< Previous | Next >
  • muushi

English
    It is a phrase used when you want somebody to tell you all the important things that have happened, until the very present. In your case, somone wanted to know everything important that has occured on the tv program 'Make Me a Supermodel.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I've never heard "catch me up to speed", My ears think it's wrong......... (though it might not be) but instantly that sticks out as incorrect English (though many American things do, it just means I was unaware of them)...

Over here we say "to bring someone up to speed"

"Sorry I was off on Monday, I know I missed the meeting, can you bring me up to speed?"

RKB

English - USA
    I'm American and I've never heard "catch me up to speed" either -- we say "bring someone up to speed" as well.

JayGatz

English - US
    I think he might of also have heard an amalgamation of

"catch me up"

and

"up to speed"

The first I hear alone; as in, help me rejoin others at the expected level, this can be mental (provide information) or physical (literal pulling, or training of some sort)

The second would define someone who is already "in the know" or on par with the greater group. Primarily mental only in this phrasing, and again, not often combined with the first.

sdgraham

USA English
    This sounds like a mangled metaphor as JayGatz suggests.

"Up to speed" is a metaphor related to entering a highway and increasing speed until you're going as fast as the other traffic. Metaphorically it means knowing as much about something as the majority or totality of the other people involved.

"Catch up" is similar in that it means recouping or gaining something, in this case knowledge. The expression becomes even more colloquial when one says "catch me up".

< Previous | Next >