catch up a little bit

sunyaer

Chinese
Self-made sentence:

Context:

I went to a meeting for a business talk involving a few parties. I arrived on time when a coordinator came up to greet me saying:

"Give me a few minutes, let me catch up a little bit, and we will get ready." (As I arrived on time, it seemed they were not really ready for the meeting. That's why the coordinator used "catch up a little bit" here.)

Do you think the phrase "catch up a little bit" used here is idiomatic?

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    It is idiomatic. This could work.
    Let me say this though. "Catch up a little bit" wouldn't really infer that they were not prepared but rather there is information or knowledge about something that the speaker needs to hear/learn before they can proceed. It would not really be any fault of the speaker, just the situation.
    So really it would not directly reflect on them not being ready.

It might be something like, the President of the United States has arrived at a sudden meeting about national security. Someone is about to launch a missile against the U.S. The President was woken from sleep and suddenly brought to this urgent meeting; he does not know all that he needs to know before he makes decisions. You might hear him say to his advisors:
    "Let me get caught up on all the intel and then we will meet and discuss this in 15 minutes."

sunyaer

Chinese
    It is idiomatic. This could work.
    Let me say this though. "Catch up a little bit" wouldn't really infer that they were not prepared but rather there is information or knowledge about something that the speaker needs to hear/learn before they can proceed.
    Something like double check to make sure everyone has arrived?

sunyaer

Chinese
    No, sorry, not at all. :)

"Catch up (a little bit)" means "I need to get more information about what is going on...." before I do ________.
    I understand it as:

"Catch up (a little bit)" means "I need to get myself updated with the latest (As things keep rolling out at every moment) before I proceed."

Correct?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >