catch your jollies

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
catch one's jollies

Reference books say 'get (catch) one's jollies' is used when they are involved in something inadequate for fun. The fist example seems to go by the definition (He has been in search of his brother and a hot woman) but the second and third. Is it okay to use the phrase when wanting to say just that you're having fun.

(to BARMAN)
Hey, excuse me. Um, they weren't there.
BARMAN
I guess you got to catch your jollies another night. Here. Why don't you have a drink ... and relax?
SAM
Yeah, I don't want to relax! What is it with the people in this town?
(Supernatural, Sin City)

I used to have fun with him every once in a while as he passed the house. From below the window I’d yell out “STOP!”, and he’d stop his truck for about 10 seconds then he’d start rolling along down the street. Again, I’d yell “STOP!” and again he’d stop and wait and look around for someone. [...] I know, not cool. But that’s how I used to catch my jollies.
(Midlife Crisis Kaoni)

Besides pondering the cost of living, another way to get me out of my doldrums is to plan a touch football game between the Warrior Beat Tsaikos and the folks at Sports Hawaii. [...]

I catch my jollies just thinking about it!
(Gigi-Hawaii)

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    The expression is old, but still used. The meaning is simply "have fun".

But you probably don't want to use it. The phrase is always used to (insult, belittle, mock, put down, talk down to) the person who is "having fun". Two of your examples are mocking themselves

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    I see, dojibear. So it's carries the subtlety of those nuances you mentioned. The listener would not feel happy to hear it.

Okay, thanks!

Hiro

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I might have misunderstood for many years, but the similar expression I know 'get (your) jollies' is has a sexual connotation. This is given in the WR Random House Unabridged Version

Usually,jollies. [Informal.]pleasurable excitement, esp. from or as if from something forbidden or improper.

'He gets his jollies from watching horror movies' is the example given, but doesn't sound quite right to me. Perhaps because I can't take 'horror movies' seriously or if it means extreme violence I wouldn't be using the slang term 'jollies'.

It's used for talking about other people, whose 'jollies' you despise or might formally describe as perversions.
    It's not out of date in the UK.