catchy

• shoobydoowap

USA, English
    A catchy song is one that you like. There's SOMETHING about it (maybe the singer's voice, or the chorus, or the music in it) that is really good and gets your attention. It may not be a very good song, but you still listen to it.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    A catchy song is one which both catches your attention and catches in your memory. This usage has been around since the 1830s in English.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi, I have a new question:

I'm listening to a song, and I think the song is easy to sing, perhaps after listening to it twice I can sing it, can I say:

It's really catchy. (The song is really easy to sing.)

Thanks a lot

Barque

Tamil
    "Catchy" and "easy" are two different things. You can say the song is catchy but that doesn't refer to how easy or difficult it is to sing.

Silver

Thanks a lot.

When I say "XX is a catchy song", is it negative, positive or neutral?

According to #2, it's positive. But #3 said "Even you don't want to remember". So, in my opinion, I think it's more negative than positive, tends to be neutral?

Barque

Tamil
    It's usually positive.

I think languageGuy in #3 meant "even if you aren't trying to remember it".

Silver

Thanks a lot, Barque. I've never doubted your native-like English. But this time let's wait for a native speaker, if there is one reading this thread, to confirm for me. I beg to do so is just because there are many "catchy songs" in China nowadays, you might have heard one or two of them. In Chinese they have another name, brainwashing songs, but some actually are positive.

I tend to believe "a catchy song" is neutral and negative. Sorry to disagree with you.

Packard

USA, English
    A "catchy song" for me, means a song whose melody or melody and lyrics stick in my head after hearing it.

But in general, "catchy" means "easily remembered".

Catchy tune
    Catchy title
    Catchy slogan
    Catchy name (product or business)

Packard

USA, English
    So it's negative?
    Only negative in the sense that you can't get the tune out of your head.:)

From the song writers' point of view (or advertizers' or headline writers', etc.) it is a mark of excellence.

If you google "catch headlines" you will find many blogs and sites that purport to teach you how to write these. It is a plus to write catchy titles, headlines, music, etc.

< Previous | Next >