cater for

cointi

Polish
Hi,

Can you please explain the meaning of the verb cater for in this context? It seems to be a little different from the standard, dictionary meaning. All the quotes come from the same source, I bundled them together hoping it will help to find the common denominator.

<...> Each circling situation is different because of variables such as runway layout, final approach track, wind velocity and meteorological conditions. Therefore, there can be no single procedure designed that will cater for conducting a circling approach in every situation.

<...> The inner boundary caters for the slowest aircraft.

<...> Procedures normally cater for turns at a point 600 m from the beginning of the runway.
<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • cointi

Polish
    Sure, the title of the handbook is Procedures for Air Navigation Services: Aircraft Operations published by International Civil Aviation Organization

cointi

Polish
    Thank you, sdgraham. I still want to make sure I understand them correctly. Can I replace "cater for" with "is designed for" in all the three sentences with no change in meaning? I know it sounds rather clumsy, but is it what the author meant?

Therefore, there can be no single procedure designed for conducting a circling approach in every situation.

The inner boundary is designed for the slowest aircraft.

Procedures are normally designed for turns at a point 600 m from the beginning of the runway

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    My natural instict in BE is to replace "cater for" with "allow for" or "cope with". I see the meaning of "cater for" in terms of a range of variables or options. If something can be "catered for" then it can fall into this range - and therefore it can be dealt with.

there can be no single procedure designed that will allow for/cope with conducting a circling approach in every situation.
    The inner boundary allows for/copes with the slowest aircraft.
    Procedures normally allow for/cope with turns at a point 600 m from the beginning of the runway.
    [This is the same meaning as sdgraham's "provides for", it's just that in my version of BE "allow for/cope with" come to mind more naturally.]

< Previous | Next >