Cattivo maestro

momo-san

italian
Salve,

Como posso tradurre "Essere un cattivo maestro"? Pensavo a qualcosa come "bad servant", ma non so se sia corretto...
Grazie!
Ele

• momo-san

italian
    Si, scusate, per la fretta ho scritto male. In realtà volevo scrivere "master", per associazione di idee ho pensato a servant e distrattamente l'ho anche scritto!
    Il contesto: un'azienda che promuove un cattivo modello di comportamento per altre aziende. Volevo scrivere nel titolo di un articolo in inglese "Google: (a bad master)"
    Grazie

pescara

English-USA
    Se si tratta di un'azienda che promuove un cattivo modello di comportimento, direi: a bad example. This company sets a bad example for other companies.

Ciao.

lövastrell

Italiano, Italia
    Hello,
    I'm reopening this thread because I find that "a bad example" is very understated in some contexts. In Italian, "cattivo maestro," esp. in the plural "cattivi maestri", can have e.g. a political tinge, as in:
    "Toni Negri fu un cattivo maestro per un'intera generazione"
    (just an example, I don't necessarily subscribe to it...).
    And the idea of teaching is a key part of it, imho:
    "I decostruzionisti degli anni '80 sono stati dei cattivi maestri,"
    meaning that the French theory or whatever it's called has had a bad influence in the universities, their teaching poisoned public debate, etc.
    Is there anything comparable in English?

rrose17

Canada, English
    If you want to increase the severity of the expression you can always say "to set a terrible example". But I don't think this expression works in either of your examples. I think a bad role model doesn't quite do it here, either. Since it's his work not the person himself who is misleading people. I wonder if we'd use a completely different way to express this idea. Like
    The writings of T.N. misdirected/misinformed an entire generation.
    An entire generation was led astray by Toni Negri.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    "A bad influence" is another possibility, though you usually have to be a bad influence on someone / something:

Toni Negri was a bad influence on an entire generation.
    The deconstructionists of the 1980s were a bad influence on contemporary literary criticism.

stez

english - australia
    I wonder if, especially when talking about something like deconstructionism, whether the idea could be rendered using the expression ‘false prophets’? Of course, the whole phrase would need changing - perhaps something like: The false prophets of deconstructivist theory have a lot to answer for...

Just a thought.

lövastrell

Italiano, Italia
    Grazie, stez (got your nickname right this time...). I think 'false prophets' might come close. Perhaps the ancient Greece Sophists are the best example of what we usually mean by the 'cattivi maestri' phrase. Ring any further bell? Thanks anyway.

stez

english - australia
    Grazie, stez (got your nickname right this time...). I think 'false prophets' might come close. Perhaps the ancient Greece Sophists are the best example of what we usually mean by the 'cattivi maestri' phrase. Ring any further bell? Thanks anyway.
    Indeed, I love the description of them as ‘hairsplitting wordsmiths’. And given that sophisms these days are considered fallacious arguments we might be on the right track. 🤓

< Previous | Next >