caught up in a spell

• lingobingo

English - England
    This is from the movie Avengers: Infinity War and here the word spell refers to a magic spell, I think.

The expression would normally be “we haven’t got caught up in…”.

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    Just to add my two cents because, having binge-watched the MCU franchise, I happen to know most of the, if not the full, context.
    "God, we haven't caught up in a spell, have we?" was what Tony Stark (aka Iron Man) said to Bruce Banner (aka the Hulk) when asked by Bruce to call Steve Rogers (Captain America).
    The Context? Prior to that, two major things occurred that might be relevant to what Tony said:
    First, after working with the Avengers to save Sokovia from Ultron, the Hulk, for whatever reason, fled the earth in a Quinjet in stealth mode. (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
    Second, during the Hulk's absence, the Avengers had a falling out over the Sokovia Accords, which aimed to restrict superheros' personal liberty. Tony Stark, standing at the opposite side of Steve Rogers, naturally wouldn't be in contact with him, let alone the fact that Steve Rogers, among some other Avengers, had been on the run for their violation of the Accords. They wouldn't have made themselves easy to reach. (Captain America: Civil War)
    When that conversation happened, Bruce Banner had just come back from his absence in a hurry to seek help. Having not had the time to catch up with the news, he had no knowledge of the Avengers' falling out. On account of that, he made it sound like the easiest thing for Tony Stark to call Steve Rogers.
    So, for me, by "we haven't caught up in a spell, have we?", he really meant, "oh, right, I forgot we haven't talked in a while. You didn't know about the breaking up. You didn't know that we are not on speaking terms. That's why you think I could just call him right now."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >