cauldron vs kettle (on a tripod)

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Is the big pot that you hang down from a tripod over a fire to cook in it outdoors called a kettle, a cauldron, or both?
I mean this:

  • Keith Bradford

    Senior Member
    English (Midlands UK)
    I'd call that a cooking-pot or a cauldron.

    A kettle is (a) a covered pot with a handle one side and a spout the other side, (b) a small pot used for heating glue.
    A cauldron often (though not necessarily) has three legs attached.

    In folklore a cauldron is traditionally the pot used by witches; it represents the womb of the universe in which the four elements of earth, air, water and fire are combined.
    < Previous | Next >