cause bacteria and loose dirt to clump together

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
if separate objects clump together, or are clumped together, they form a group or solid mass:
This product will cause bacteria and loose dirt to clump together in the water tank.
Longman dictionary

Do you think it's about a detergent that's designed to make bacteria and loose dirt clump together?
Thank you.

• Szkot

UK English
    Doesn't sound like a detergent - rather a coagulating agent which may be used in water purification. But you may be asking in the wrong forum.

Linkway

British English
    Depending on what type of "water tank" is being referred to, I would be extremely surprised if "detergent" is added while the tank is being used.

If the water in the tank is for human or animal consumption, detergent could only be used when cleaning the tank after taking it out of service.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you for the answers.
    Well, my main concern was whether it's really saying that it "causes (bacteria and loose dirt) to clump together" and not "causes (bacteria) and (loose dirt to clump together)".

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    I would take it to mean that the effect of the product is that loose dirt and bacteria coalesce into solid clumps composed of bacteria and dirt; but by the way it is worded, one might also infer that it causes bacteria to clump together and also loose dirt to form clumps -- two separate kinds of clumps.

< Previous | Next >