cause /causing climate change

< Previous | Next >

kansi

japanese
❶ is a real sentence.
While ❶ means that human activity is acctually causing climate change right now or for a while from recently to now, is ❷ telling just a fact that human activity causes climate change and doesn't really say if it's going on, or that human activity habitually causes climate changes?

That's the difference between the present tense and the continuas form here?

❶Rising global temperatures and warming ocean waters are causing one of the world’s coldest places to melt. While we know that human activity is causing climate change and driving rapid changes in Antarctica, the potential impacts that a warmer world would have on this region remain uncertain.

❷Rising global temperatures and warming ocean waters are causing one of the world’s coldest places to melt. While we know that human activity causes climate change and driving rapid changes in Antarctica, the potential impacts that a warmer world would have on this region remain uncertain.
Ancient Antarctic ice melt caused extreme sea level rise 129,000 years ago – and it could happen again

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Causes' would be correct, as would be your explanation*, but it might be a little strange, as we are currently causing it for the first time in our existence. On the time scales involved, it can't have been experienced as habitual. But 'deforestation causes', for example, could have been repeatedly observed even in modern times.

* However, I don't see the distinction you're making. If something habitually happens, that doesn't mean it's happening now, though it might be.

kansi

japanese
    [
    If something habitually happens, that doesn't mean it's happening now, though it might be.
    This is what I acctually meant. With causes, it might mean that it habitually happens but it doesn't nesesarilly means that it's happening now.Am I saying the same thing with you?

kansi

japanese
    as we are currently causing it for the first time in our existence.
    Ah If we said "causes" , it also means like people lived 5000years
    ago caused it, people lived 50 years ago did and we also still causes it.
    Do I understand you?

< Previous | Next >