cause this <derangement of his personality>

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 435, chapter 19) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:Connie and her sister Hilda were in Wragby. And Connie said she had to break the promise that she would continue to stay with Mellors. So Clifford looked at her angrily…)

He(Clifford) was used to her. She was as it were embedded in his will. How dared she now go back on him, and destroy the fabric of his daily existence? How dared she try to cause this derangement of his personality?

I take derangement to be chaos/mess. But how should I understand derangement of his personality please? I don't think a person's personality(=character) can be made messy, because it's almost invariable and constant.

Thank you in advance

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think a person's personality(=character) can be made messy, because it's almost invariable and constant.
    In English, the concept is possible. The derangement (or as we would say colloquially - "The messing up") of a personality would mean the disarrangement of Sir Clifford's established way of life, characteristic behaviour, flow of his thoughts, and his general enjoyment of stability and 'normality'.

(crossposted)

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Thank you both so much. But I thought it's a kind of mental disease.
    That would be a derangement of his mind, not of his personality. But you are right that the word deranged by itself usually refers to a deranged mind.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    People can become deranged too, of course and many would say Clifford already was. But the author is expressing Clifford's view and all he sees is the disordering of his pattern of life and his hopes.

< Previous | Next >