causerie-débat - échange / rencontre

Ti Bateau

English
The event described below was essentially a question & answer session/discussion with an author. I would like to stay close to the French without repeating myself (I swapped the last two sentences to make it read better in English).
Am I right in thinking that 'Rencontre' in this context would be 'interview'/'discussion'?

Le Festival a organisé une causerie–débat avec un écrivain bien connu. C'était un échange très intéressant. Rencontre avec un écrivain unique et moderne.
The Festival organised a question & answer session with a well-known author. This interview/discussion with a unique and modern author proved to be a very interesting discussion/exchange (of viewpoints/thoughts and ideas).

Thank you in advance.

• christelleny

French-France
    "question & answer session" (or simply "Q & A") is a good choice to translate "causerie-débat" here if the event was indeed a question and answer session with the author.
    Another option is "Meet the Author" (e.g. a meet-the-author event).

The idea of "Rencontre" here is "encounter".

Ti Bateau

English
    Thank you christelleny for your confirmation of 'question & answer' (Q&A is too informal in the context).
    Rencontre - I would prefer 'to meet/meeting' to 'encounter', which I find has connotations of it being a 'chance encounter'
    I embellished the text a little to make it flow ... unless you have any better ideas of translating 'Rencontre' at the beginning of a sentence?

Le Festival a organisé une causerie–débat avec un écrivain bien connu. C'était un échange très intéressant. Rencontre avec un écrivain unique et moderne.
    The Festival organised a question & answer session with a well-known author. It was fascinating to meet this unique, modern author for what proved to be an interesting exchange (of viewpoints/thoughts and ideas).

< Previous | Next >