Ce rêve bleu (chanson)

< Previous | Next >

stardreamer1221

English, united states
Bonjour!
Comment dit on "Ce Rêve Bleu" en anglias? It is the title to "A whole New World" from Disney's Aladdin. Mais, est ce que il y a une difference (as opposed to the English Version) N'est pas? merci!

• stardreamer1221

English, united states
    I have found another version of this song, which seems to be more correct. Here is a copy of the lyrics, though:

Aladdin:
    [...]

Ce rêve bleu
    C'est un nouveau monde en couleurs
    Une nouvelle vie
    Un paradis aux mille nuits sans sommeil
    [...]

orlando09

English (England)
    does anyone know the meaning of this phrase un rêve bleu? […]

I just read that in the French version of Pooh Bear the Hunded Acre Wood is called La Forêt des Rêves Bleus - does it mean a beautiful dream? Why blue?

Last edited by a moderator:

tomatoshadow

Canada, Français
    I know this is a really old thread but I thought I'd give a word about it.

I'm a native Canadian French speaker and "reve bleu" is definitely not an expression I'm familiar with. I have only ever heard it in Aladdin and it doesn't have a more significant meaning than "blue dream" to me. It might be referring to the general color of the night? I can't think of any meaning of "blue" in that context and as many might have tried, looking it up only brings results of Aladdin and the song's lyrics.

[…]

So yeah, I cannot give an explanation for "Reve bleu" but what I can say, as a native french speaker, is that when I first heard the song from the French version, I had the same reaction as all of you. I had no idea what "Reve bleu" meant or referred to and it didn't made more sense to me than it does to you.

[…]

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

Rêve bleu does make sense to me, although it's hard to explain. It's something very idiomatic. I've noticed that the adjective bleu is often used to talk about romantic, lovely things. For instance, the adjective fleur-bleue is often used in a pejorative way to mean over-romantic/dramatic.
    The expression rêves bleues also occurs in Winnie The Pooh's La Fôret des Rêves Bleus (although its original name is Hundred Acre Wood).

TomatoShadow is right in saying that bleu probably refers to the color of the night. Blue is a cold color, that reminds me of sleep (le sommeil).

I also agree with TomatoShadow about French translations (for instance, La Forêt des Rêves Bleus doesn't have much to do with Hundred Acre Wood). […]

phenren

Francais
    Also, don't forget that in Aladdin's context, "bleu" may simply qualify the colour of the sky (because they are basicly flying when singing). I also always thought that the "whole new world" was the "sky world" in the OST ?

tomatoshadow

Canada, Français
    "Reve bleu" is mentioned the French version but there is a Canadian French version that offers a different version of the song.

The French version "Ce reve bleu" sounds like it's more of a reinterpretation of the song, the words are very different and you shouldn't refer to the original version to find their meanings. However, there is a Canadian French version of the song that seems to be a more direct translation and might be less confusing for people who are not too familiar with French and want to compare the song in both languages.

< Previous | Next >